Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 13:04:01

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Running the ARM64 port on a PI4B 

Quote:
./bin/cool_vl_viewer-bin: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by ./bin/cool_vl_viewer-bin)
This means your Linux distribution is too old to run the ARM release viewer, and too old as well to use the existing pre-built libraries to build a new release by yourself...

You need to find a Linux distribution with glibc v2.32 or newer. Short of this, you won't be able to use or build the viewer with the current pre-built libraries (you'd need to rebuild them too, which is way beyond your current expertise).

2022-09-28 09:15:37
Profile WWW

Well, I tried lol.

I've been programming since the mid 80s, both high level and assembly. And I invented hardware add-ons, manufactured and sold them too. In the 90s I wrote some major hybrid (VB and assembly) programmes, including 2 multi-user online adventure games, one of which was a graphic one, for which I created my own graphics system. So I'm not a mug with computers. But when it comes to surface level computer use, such as setting up a working email account, I'm a dummy, and I have to ask someone how to do it lol. By choice, I never gave linux more than a cursory glance, so I'm totally out of my depth with it.

It was pleasant trying to get this thing working though, and I thank you for the effort you put into it. If I need to log into SL, I'll fire up the tower.

All the best Henri.

2022-09-28 10:53:28

Hi Henri. I'm doing a bit of soldiering on. I've installed Ubuntu and tried the existing viewer release. Running ./cool_vl_viewer --check-libs shows that it only has one dependency 'not found' but I can't find and install it. The file is libopenal.so.1

Can you give me the command line or lines to find and install it please?

glibc version 2.35.

2022-09-30 07:07:29

Phil Deakins wrote:
Hi Henri. I'm doing a bit of soldiering on. I've installed Ubuntu and tried the existing viewer release. Running ./cool_vl_viewer --check-libs shows that it only has one dependency 'not found' but I can't find and install it. The file is libopenal.so.1

Can you give me the command line or lines to find and install it please?
Search for OpenAL, libopenal, or lib64openal (depending on your distro) in Ubuntu package manager ('synaptic', normally).

2022-09-30 07:57:27
Profile WWW

I've done that and I've run ./cool_vl_viewer --check-libs again.

Now all the dependencies ok and I get
==> The viewer itself should run just fine on this system.
and
==> The media plugins should run just fine on this system.

./cool_vl_viewer causes many lines to scroll, and it opens up the viewer window. But it all stops with the viewer window split into 2, with all black on the left and all white on the right. The scrolling stops with 6 warning lines of broken pipes and connection reset by peer.

I'm doing it with a Pi4B that has only 2G of memory. Could that be a factor?

Any ideas?

2022-09-30 12:20:25

Phil Deakins wrote:
it all stops with the viewer window split into 2, with all black on the left and all white on the right. The scrolling stops with 6 warning lines of broken pipes and connection reset by peer.
This is likely the CEF plugin failing. This (non-working CEF) however should not prevent you from running the viewer, so there is more to it: gzip the log and post it here ('gzip -9 ~/.secondlife/logs/CoolVLViewer.log', which will give you ~/.secondlife/logs/CoolVLViewer.log.gz for posting).

Quote:
I'm doing it with a Pi4B that has only 2G of memory. Could that be a factor?
No, even though 2GB would be insufficient to run the viewer in all but very simplistic situations (in a skybox for example).

Quote:
Any ideas?
Maybe an OpenGL incompatibility. Hard to tell...

You could also try rebuilding the viewer from sources yourself, now that you got the right glibc version...

2022-09-30 12:39:47
Profile WWW

Good morning Henri. I've attached the zipped log as suggested. Running the browser got close. A couple of tiny message windows, with the CoolVLViewer logo, opened and closed in the process, as they should, and the viewer window opened without any content. It ended up split in half vertically, with all black on one side and all white on the other. That's where it all stopped.

I installed cmake and tried rebuilding as you also suggested, but it got nowhere near.

Attachments:
CoolVLViewer.log.gz [10.01 KiB]
Downloaded 27 times
2022-10-01 08:03:11

The error is indeed an OpenGL issue:
Code:
2022-10-01 07:46:40Z WARNING: LLShaderMgr::loadShaderFile: GLSL compilation error: 0 - Shader file: environment/srgbF.glsl
2022-10-01 07:46:40Z INFO: LLShaderMgr::loadShaderFile: Loading file: /home/phil/Downloads/CoolVLViewer-arm64-1.30.0.3/app_settings/shaders/class1/environment/srgbF.glsl
2022-10-01 07:46:40Z WARNING: LLShaderMgr::loadShaderFile: GLSL compilation error: 0 - Shader file: environment/srgbF.glsl
2022-10-01 07:46:40Z WARNING: LLShaderMgr::loadShaderFile: Failed to load environment/srgbF.glsl
2022-10-01 07:46:40Z WARNING: LLViewerShaderMgr::setShaders: Failed to load the basic shaders !
Apparently, a shader fails to compile with your OpenGL version...
To determine what it does not like in that shader, we would need to enable the GL debug flag, but sadly that cannot be switched on until after login (you'd need to run a patched version with that flag enabled by default, meaning a recompiled viewer with that patch: see below)...

You could have had a better luck with bjdragon's older viewer build, since it could use the old Windlight shaders, but sadly again, that build seems to have gone missing (the entire muckdragon.info domain seems to be gone/unresponsive)... Perhaps someone reading this forum could make that old build available again, if they got it in their archives...

Quote:
Also, since there si for now no ARM64 build of libepoxy, v1.30.1 cannot any more be compiled for ARM64 Linux. This will change as soon as an ARM64 build of libepoxy is made available.
What is the problem ? If it is about "warnings treated as error", simply use the "--ignore-warnings" (or "-i" for short) option like so: ./linux-build.sh -i
Also, please build today's v1.30.0.19 release instead (see this message as to why).

If you manage to build the viewer, you might want to try and patch its sources so to enable the GL debug option by default (see above): edit line 58 of the linden/indra/llrender/llgl.cpp source file to read:
Code:
bool gDebugGL = true;

2022-10-01 09:35:01
Profile WWW

Henri. I do thank you for trying hard to help me with it, but I'm giving up on trying to get a viewer running in a Pi4. I gave up on Radegast earlier today.

If the viewer had run, I was thinking of using it on its own Pi4 because one Pi4 with only 4G of memory would probably be pushed to run it and do the web well enough. That being so, I'm now thinking of installing Windows 11 again on the 4G Pi, hoping that my new 128G card will allow everything to run and, if not, I can use the web on a 2G Pi4.

I'm still wanting to keep the tower shut down, and that's now my current thinking. Thank you again for all your help. I'm sorry that my linux dumbness couldn't contribute.

2022-10-01 10:30:37

Phil Deakins wrote:
Henri. I do thank you for trying hard to help me with it, but I'm giving up on trying to get a viewer running in a Pi4.
We'd need proper ARM64 support for the viewer, but I do not have an ARM64 platform myself, so we must rely on good wills (and on the time they can afford spending on such matters).

Phil Deakins wrote:
I gave up on Radegast earlier today.
Probably a bit too soon: see my post in SL's forum in reply to yours. :P

Quote:
Thank you again for all your help. I'm sorry that my linux dumbness couldn't contribute.
There is no "dumbness", just missing know-how, but gaining the latter is just a matter of time and experience.

2022-10-01 10:45:55
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next