Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 10:57:02

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
(Windows) Fullscreen is black. 

Hi there. I've been trying to figure out why fullscreen-mode isn't working for me. When I login with fullscreen enabled, I get black screen with default cursor showing. I hear ambient sounds what the sim is supposed to have where I logged off so login does work. Pressing alt shows orbit cursor and ctrl shows hand cursor as they should, but otherwise everything is black, no ui elememets, no huds. I quit by hitting ctrl-q.
I did test Firestorm and fullscreen does work ok in that.
Edit: Logfile does have indication of failed login but login did work on second try without closing the viewer between tries.

Code:
Cool VL Viewer v1.30.0.33, 64 bits, Dec 31 2022 11:18:06
Release notes

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v3 @ 3.40GHz (3401 MHz)
Memory: 16137MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 10 64 bits v10.0 (build 19044.2364)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
Windows graphics driver version: Loading...
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 516.59
Detected VRAM: 6144MB
J2C decoder: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635f
Audio driver: FMOD Studio v2.02.11
Networking backend: libcurl 7.47.0/OpenSSL 1.0.2u/zlib 1.2.11.zlib-ng
Embedded browser: Dullahan 1.12.3/CEF 91.1.21/Chromium 91.0.4472.114

Built with: MSVC v1934
Compiler-generated maths: SSE2.

Compile flags used for this build:
/O2 /Oi /DNDEBUG /D_SECURE_SCL=0 /D_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0 /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /std:c++17 /EHs /fp:fast /MP /TP /W2 /c /nologo /GS- /Zc:threadSafeInit- /DLL_WINDOWS=1 /DUNICODE /D_UNICODE /DWINVER=0x0601 /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0601 /DLL_PHMAP=1 /DLL_NETBIOS=1 /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DLL_FMOD=1 /DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC /DAPU_DECLARE_STATIC /DCURL_STATICLIB=1 /DXML_STATIC

Attachments:
CoolVLViewer_log.zip [31.11 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times
2023-01-02 18:28:38

Full screen mode has always been bogus (with a shitload of glitchy/fragile/crashy workarounds in LL's code and TPVs code), especially with core GL profile enabled (might work without it, but then you would lose 30-50% in frame rates)... Success to switch to full screen also depends on your OS, your GPU, its drivers... The result has always been random each time I tried it (and sometimes changes, from one driver version to the next).

I'm afraid this 'bug' will never get (fully) fixed...

Just don't use it, or use Firestorm if it works for you and you absolutely need full screen... But maximizing the viewer window in windowed mode provides almost the same screen estate (especially if you set the task/menu bar to auto-hide), and works perfectly fine.

2023-01-02 19:05:45
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Full screen mode has always been bogus (with a shitload of glitchy/fragile/crashy workarounds in LL's code and TPVs code), especially with core GL profile enabled (might work without it, but then you would lose 30-50% in frame rates)... Success to switch to full screen also depends on your OS, your GPU, its drivers... The result has always been random each time I tried it (and sometimes changes, from one driver version to the next).

I'm afraid this 'bug' will never get (fully) fixed...

Just don't use it, or use Firestorm if it works for you and you absolutely need full screen... But maximizing the viewer window in windowed mode provides almost the same screen estate (especially if you set the task/menu bar to auto-hide), and works perfectly fine.

Ok, so it's hit or miss if it works. There are some nice features in Cool VL Viewer and besides it is fast, so not going to drop using it because of this. Maximizing window does work nicely with task/menu-bar auto-hide so just going to use that.
Thanks for the great viewer.

2023-01-02 21:35:40

I have (hopefully) good news !

For next release, I revamped the full screen mode code.

Instead of switching to full screen from windowed mode at login (which imposes a renderer full restart, something OpenGL does not like when it involves such radical a change in display modes), the viewer now starts up in full screen mode when it is configured to use that mode; it means that changing the configuration to/from full screen mode (and changes in full screen requested resolution) now imposes a viewer restart, but it should solve most (all ?) of the black screen issues (as long as your system is well configured, especially for dual iGPU/dGPU systems), and should get fully rid as well of crashes encountered with full screen mode.

I so far tested it successfully on Linux and Windows (7, 11) systems.

As a nice side effect, I could also get rid of the antediluvian (pre-OpenGL-v1.5) no-VBO code path (to try and work around crashes at full screen mode switching, LL had a workaround implemented that involved disabling the vertex buffers during 30 frames after switch before re-enabling them... Yes, it was that dirty !).

2023-02-03 08:15:21
Profile WWW

Updated to new stable branch and so far full screen has been working fine (on Windows 10).
Thank you for this update. :D

2023-02-07 13:13:27
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]