Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 22:06:14

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
CV version 1.26.22.11 reliably crashes cinnamon under ubuntu 

Hi,

Cool Viewer 1.26.22.11 reliably crashes cinnamon desktop under ubuntu, i tried with ubuntu 18.04 and with 16.04, i am getting the same results each time cinnamon crashes.
Both, 16.04 and 18.04 have cinnamon installed from the default ubuntu repositories and are on the most recent patchlevel.
I am using a nvidia graphics card with latest nvida legay drivers.

Under ubuntu 18.04 the crash freezes the whole desktop right after starting CV for about 10 seconds, then cinnamon detects that it has crashed and asks to restart.
Under ubuntu 16.04 the screen goes partly black right after starting CV, i see parts of the starting screen of CV and then cinnamon detects the crash and asks to restart.

With CV 1.26.22.10 this does not happen, so i am happy i always keep a copy of the old version.

What has changed that possibly could cause this crash?

If you need more information, i am happy to provide them to you.

2018-07-08 18:51:45

Please follow the rules for this forum and provide the required info (in particular the log and crash dump files).

This said, I do not see why v1.26.22.11 would crash your desktop while v1.26.22.10 does not (nothing changed between the two versions that could explain that, even remotely). It is highly probable that the bug is in your desktop software since in any case, it should not crash at all in the first place. I am not familiar with Cinnamon (neither Ubuntu), but a suspect would be the compositor (Wayland ?... Be aware that the viewer is a pure X11/Xlib application and as such requires proper X11/Xlib support).

2018-07-08 19:47:53
Profile WWW

i just found out what crashes cinnamon, it turned out that your new register_secondlifeprotocol.sh crashes cinnamon as soon as it is run!
I dont even need to run the viewer, just starting that script alone crashes cinnamon.

When i use the old script everything works.

2018-07-08 21:50:03

Well, it is rather funny that a simple shell script, which is also perfectly valid, can crash Cinnamon... Now, if you could try and narrow the problem by inserting "exit 0" at various parts of the script, we could perhaps find out what exactly "upsets" your system...

2018-07-08 22:39:58
Profile WWW

ok, now it gets REALLY weird!

after running the script a couple of times with the same result, crash of cinnamon i added an exit statement close to the end of the script:

Quote:
# Remove any old associaation(s) for the secondlife URI protocol
grep -v secondlife "$MIMEAPPSLIST" >"$MIMEAPPSLIST.patched"
mv -f "$MIMEAPPSLIST.patched" "$MIMEAPPSLIST"

exit 0

# Add our own protocol handler
echo "x-scheme-handler/secondlife=secondlife-url-handler.desktop" >>"$MIMEAPPSLIST"
cat >"$APPSDIR/secondlife-url-handler.desktop" <<EOF2
[Desktop Entry]

this time i had no crash.

so i removed that statement again and... no crash anymore!
I was running that script a couple more times, always the same result, no crash anymore!

thats really weird!

I have had the same behavior on both of my systems, my ubuntu 16.04 box and on my 18.04 one.

Well... case closed, put it to the "X"-Files...

2018-07-10 13:23:03

Thing is, the script code is perfectly legit and writing into $HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list should not cause any crash (especially since it got patched a few lines above, without crashing).

A potential suspect could be a buggy 'update-desktop-database' utility: for non root users, it will print warnings about not being able to update the system databases (which is fine), but I guess a buggy version could crash instead.

Try adding the 'exit 0' before the "# Update the MIME database cache" line instead, and see what happens.

2018-07-10 15:30:43
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]