Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-23 19:31:04

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Spurious character on copy/pasted text (MacOS-X) 

Hi all,

yes, I can comment on it, no solution yet, but yes, I see it happen for the new ones, not sure why yet.

There were two bigger changes: llvm-gcc-4.2 (to remove all those super ugly hacks to support the ancient gcc-4.0) and newer SDK 10.6 (to fix boost linkage issues).

Cut&Copy seems to work fine inside a notecard or from some box to a notecard editor, but once copying to a text edit field, it appends one weird character, probably some end of string marker of some kind.

Need to have a look with the debugger to say more about it.

Kathrine

2013-06-09 14:49:57

Location: Neufreistadt, Confederation of Democratic Simulators, Second Life
Hi,

When scripting, writing notecards, or even in chat, copying & pasting adds an annoying extra character (looks like a rectangle inside the viewer; it's a dark spot when copying to something outside the viewer, e.g. Terminal). I'm supposing this is the carriage line/line feed character that somehow gets wrongly converted and/or not ignored.

Makes it rather hard to script, when you need to do a lot of copying & pasting! Fortunately, the character is usually deletable (inside the script editor).

In IM/chat/map, the character is NOT editable, but at least it doesn't show.

This was first experienced in 1.26.8.8 (earlier versions worked fine) and continues to be present in 1.26.4.80.

2013-07-20 18:04:11
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Location: Neufreistadt, Confederation of Democratic Simulators, Second Life
Oops. This seems to be a known bug. Strangely, the search here didn't find a report... oh well...

2013-07-20 18:32:19
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

On chat/IM lines, I see the spurious character as a black dot, and I can delete it with backspace, as I can when the character appears as a box in the script editor. These are merely slightly annoying; the biggest issue is that the problem prevents cut-pasting between text input fields in the Editor. However this is not a Cool VL Viewer problem, it is something that seemed to creep in when the Apple compile/build process changed.

2013-09-19 01:39:35

Resurrecting this thread here since we have a new Mac builder: this bug is still here, and still annoying. The strange ending character seems to be added each time we paste something, whether it comes from Cool VL Viewer or from anywhere else. And it does prevent pasting in fields, or inventory item names, for example… Not sure if it's the same bug, but I noticed it's the same with characters input via the OS X character viewer: trying to add one just does nothing in edit fields, but works in IM lines or notecards.
If there's anything that can be done about it, that would be really great… :)

2014-08-29 05:37:52

ErikaThorkveld wrote:
Resurrecting this thread here since we have a new Mac builder: this bug is still here, and still annoying. The strange ending character seems to be added each time we paste something, whether it comes from Cool VL Viewer or from anywhere else. And it does prevent pasting in fields, or inventory item names, for example… Not sure if it's the same bug, but I noticed it's the same with characters input via the OS X character viewer: trying to add one just does nothing in edit fields, but works in IM lines or notecards.
If there's anything that can be done about it, that would be really great… :)
It would greatly help if only you could tell me what is the character code corresponding to that "strange ending character"... If you can't find out by yourself, try and copy it (or the full line with that character at the end) into a text editor, save the text as a *.txt file and post the latter attached to a message in this thread...

2014-08-29 08:21:08
Profile WWW

Made a few attempts for this - as it happens, when pasting in a notecard, it gets transformed into a real '?' which doesn't help a lot. I finally managed to copy it from the entry for the local chat, and it looks like its a NUL character, code 0… Surprising, uh? ;)

2014-08-29 10:47:03

ErikaThorkveld wrote:
Made a few attempts for this - as it happens, when pasting in a notecard, it gets transformed into a real '?' which doesn't help a lot. I finally managed to copy it from the entry for the local chat, and it looks like its a NUL character, code 0… Surprising, uh? ;)
I made a change to the paste routine. It should now be much safer and properly convert all line endings (including the bogus LF+CR combination, albeit it should normally not be encountered). I'm not sure however the issue comes from here and since I can't test it myself... Anyway, this change will be in next releases.

2014-08-29 14:10:40
Profile WWW

Sorry first noticed this post now, I'll test it out in the next version.

2014-08-29 15:49:12

I just tested, and I have no issues in the 12.14 release (though I didn't before either, so maybe I'm not that good of a tester). I've copy pasted back and forth and while the new line character do appear in chat, it doesn't influence anything or shows, after. Notecards and folders work well too here.

2014-08-30 13:20:03
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next