Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-24 23:54:22

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Viewer freezes when music url changes 

The new Fmod Ex release has not solved it, viewer keeps freezing when a music url is changing, and I am using now v1.26.8.24 with the problem still existing, I need the taskmanager to kill the viewer. I guess I need to wait for another new release of Fmod.

With OpenAl it works fine, it doesn't freeze, but then I can not select "Notify about streaming music title changes".

2013-08-27 16:26:34

Just to let you know, this is still happening in the current viewer. Since users of other viewers aren't screaming I'm guessing there's something in Cool VL Viewer that's different. There have been several updates to FMOD, and several updates to the viewer since this started and none have changed the behavior. The workaround still works. Personally I copy the music URL and listen using a player outside of SL, but when I forget I wind up having to kill -9 the viewer.

Perhaps you can take another look at how Cool VL Viewer is interfacing with FMOD when you have a chance. :)

Thanks Henri.

Ibrew Meads wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
It looks like a FMOD Ex bug (the freeze happens inside a call to the FMOD Ex library). Try switching to OpenAL (edit the corresponding cool_vl_viewer script lines to disable FMOD and enable OpenAL) till the next FMOD Ex release comes out (they got a pretty high release rate).

I couldn't so far reproduce such freezes (but I'm not a fan of streaming music, so I usually keep it off and tested it infrequently) but it would be interesting to know which (type of) stream causes this bug to get triggered: is there a specific place where this kind of freezes happens often ?

They must have forgot a timeout in there somewhere. Thanks.

Since it only (and always) happens when a stream server drops the stream, it tends to happen a lot at the end of live events, where the performer drops his stream before the host switches back to the house stream or to the next performer's stream. And everything is fine as long as I remember to turn off sound before they actually drop the stream.

2013-11-28 22:47:39

Ibrew Meads wrote:
Just to let you know, this is still happening in the current viewer. Since users of other viewers aren't screaming I'm guessing there's something in Cool VL Viewer that's different. There have been several updates to FMOD, and several updates to the viewer since this started and none have changed the behavior. The workaround still works. Personally I copy the music URL and listen using a player outside of SL, but when I forget I wind up having to kill -9 the viewer.

Perhaps you can take another look at how Cool VL Viewer is interfacing with FMOD when you have a chance. :)

Thanks Henri.
There is no problem with the Cool VL Viewer code itself. There may be one with the FMOD Ex versions in use. IIRC, most of the other viewers are still using FMOD Ex v4.44.18: you could try compiling the viewer with it and see if it solves your issue (but then, crash bugs that have been fixed in newer FMOD Ex versions would reappear...). I, for one, could never reproduce this issue... May be because I'm using OSS and not ALSA...

2013-11-28 22:51:32
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Ibrew Meads wrote:

Thanks Henri.
There is no problem with the Cool VL Viewer code itself. There may be one with the FMOD Ex versions in use. IIRC, most of the other viewers are still using FMOD Ex v4.44.18: you could try compiling the viewer with it and see if it solves your issue (but then, crash bugs that have been fixed in newer FMOD Ex versions would reappear...). I, for one, could never reproduce this issue... May be because I'm using OSS and not ALSA...

Just an FYI, Henri. This is still occurring with the latest version (Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12 (10) Aug 2 2014 09:10:51 (Cool VL Viewer)) even though there have been quite a few FMOD updates in this time.

2014-08-07 07:13:22

Ibrew Meads wrote:
Just an FYI, Henri. This is still occurring with the latest version (Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12 (10) Aug 2 2014 09:10:51 (Cool VL Viewer)) even though there have been quite a few FMOD updates in this time.
Could you please enable the "FMOD" debug tag (in the floater opened via "Advanced" -> "Consoles" -> "Debug tags"), get the error to happen, and post the log ?

Without logs I'm clueless on what may be happening...

2014-08-07 14:40:34
Profile WWW

FMOD code audited and made more robust in today's releases. if you still encounter issues with audio streams freezing the viewer, please enable the "FMOD" debug tag, reproduce the bug, and post the log here !

2014-08-09 09:55:40
Profile WWW

Unfortunately it freezed again with 1.26.12 (12) version when I pressed the Stop play button. I will next time use the "FMOD" debug tag.

2014-08-18 06:50:31

Michel Farrell wrote:
Unfortunately it freezed again with 1.26.12 (12) version when I pressed the Stop play button. I will next time use the "FMOD" debug tag.
Strange, because no later than last night, I purposely went to an event and waited till the DJ closed the stream. Not only it didn't freeze a single hundredth of a second when the stream got dropped, but the start/stop function worked just fine, before and after the stream changed...
I'm starting to wonder if it's an OS-specific issue... So, pretty please, from now on, and for everyone posting in this thread, do abide with the rules of this forum and provide the full details requested in them. And yes, please, try and activate the FMOD debug tag when you go to such an event, so that full details are logged.
Also, do tell whether the media filter was activated or not and whether IP address lookup ("Preferences" -> "Audio & Media" -> "Media" -> "Lookup IP address for filtered domains") is activated or not; when it it, there may be a 10 seconds or so freeze, if the domain set on the new stream was not already allowed by the filter and if it doesn't resolve to a valid IP address, i.e. if the new stream domain is invalid (null/bogus/non-existent stream), and this is expected/normal/unavoidable (read the tool-tip for that setting).

2014-08-18 08:17:19
Profile WWW

Since I use the "FMOD" debug tag it has not freezed yet, but I see a lot of times this message appearing in the log, sometimes almost 100 times within one hour.

"DEBUG: LLAudioChannelFMODEX::cleanup: Aborting cleanup with no channel handle."

I don't know if this means something or that I just should ignore it.

I have not enabled the media filter.

2014-08-19 09:16:03

Michel Farrell wrote:
Since I use the "FMOD" debug tag it has not freezed yet, but I see a lot of times this message appearing in the log, sometimes almost 100 times within one hour.

"DEBUG: LLAudioChannelFMODEX::cleanup: Aborting cleanup with no channel handle..
Perfectly harmless and even normal/common (thus why it's a debug message instead of a warning).

2014-08-19 10:57:21
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next