Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 12:53:32

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Cool VL Viewer 1.26.9 (25): Bug with the group handling 

Hello,

I have found a problem with the group window handling.

If I log in, the first group chat always to open is the Firestorm support group, as it is high traffic and always someone triggering the group window to open by writing something.

Now there are 4 problems ( probably 1, 2 and 3are related )

1. The window shouldn't open at all, because all the toggles in the Groups windows are unmarked ( group visible in profile, receive group chat, receive group notices)

2. The window opens (where it shouldn't, see 1.) and I see the first comment from someone. But: all the following chat in the group are not going to the group window.
Instead, I see them written in chat console only. They don't appear in the 'Local chat' either.

3., If I now close the group chat tab and try to reopen it in the group window by clicking it, I only get this short guitar DOING sound as if the window is blocked, can't reopen the group chat for this group.

4. If someone with last name Resident writes to chat (any), first time I see the name as "Firstname" only, beginning with his second line he's shown with his last name, too. I think it should show the last name always or never, right?

I'll try to find some appropriate log, but there's not much in there...

:-)

2013-09-04 08:15:04

Tillie wrote:
Hello,

I have found a problem with the group window handling.

If I log in, the first group chat always to open is the Firestorm support group, as it is high traffic and always someone triggering the group window to open by writing something.

Now there are 4 problems ( probably 1, 2 and 3are related )

1. The window shouldn't open at all, because all the toggles in the Groups windows are unmarked ( group visible in profile, receive group chat, receive group notices)
There is the problem of the mute list loading... It happens asynchronously (it's retrieved from the server after login) and if a group message arrives before the mute list loads, of course, the message won't get muted... I can do nothing about such race conditions (this could be solved server side, if the server was waiting to finish sending the mute list before it would send IMs... but since LL's viewer doesn't implement group messages muting, this will never happen).

Quote:
2. The window opens (where it shouldn't, see 1.) and I see the first comment from someone. But: all the following chat in the group are not going to the group window.
Instead, I see them written in chat console only. They don't appear in the 'Local chat' either.
The next messages will indeed get muted in the IM window, but since the IM session is started, they will keep going through to the console... I could add specific code to work around this, but the simpler is to close the group IM window (and therefore the session) to get rid of the console echo.

Quote:
3., If I now close the group chat tab and try to reopen it in the group window by clicking it, I only get this short guitar DOING sound as if the window is blocked, can't reopen the group chat for this group.
It's perfectly normal, since you muted the group...

Quote:
4. If someone with last name Resident writes to chat (any), first time I see the name as "Firstname" only, beginning with his second line he's shown with his last name, too. I think it should show the last name always or never, right?
No... because of the way the IM sessions are started the name of the *first* message must be taken from the IM block itself, and it doesn't go through the normal naming service. I already tried to fix this glitch, looooooong ago, but didn't find any satisfactory solution. Is it *that* annoying a glitch anyway ?... I prefer spending time more efficiently on true bugs...

Quote:
I'll try to find some appropriate log, but there's not much in there...
ALWAYS provide the log, even if it doesn't look relevant to you, it will be 95% of the time for me: for example, in this particular case, depending on where the mute list loading is logged (before or after the IM session initiation) it can give an evidence of what is the problem all about (even if I guessed it here); same with the avatar names service log lines...

2013-09-04 20:58:52
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]