Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 22:50:57

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
some attachments invisible after teleport (1.26.12.2) 

After teleporting to other sim, some mesh attachments became invisible. Seems like this doesn't affect rigged mesh, so you don't found yourself suddenly nude. :-) A popular BARE game HUD is affected. Another example is this floor lamp (it is silly to wear a floor lamp, but I want a reproducible example; try to attach it to your hand, or to HUD center position, then tp somewhere; both HUDSs and body attachments are affected). Going to wireframe and back fixes this, but it is annoying to do this after each teleport. Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12.1 and 1.26.12.2, Windows XP.

2014-05-24 13:54:36
Profile WWW

This is not a viewer bug. Simply slow loading meshes because of slow server to viewer communications (i.e. congested network or overloaded servers). Changing the LOD of the mesh (which is caused by the wireframe switching or by a zoom-in/zoom-out of the camera) helps making the mesh load faster (by re-launching LOD requests).

2014-05-24 13:56:00
Profile WWW

I have experimented: it took a few minutes for a body attachment to appear (without resorting to wireframe), and a HUD doesn't appear at all (I have wear it for more then two hours, to be sure). I think (of course it is just a hypothesis) this is because the body attachment look depends on camera (it may be some zoom in, you've said this may trigger LOD request), and the HUD look doesn't. Maybe it is worth sending the same request as wireframe does after each teleport? Anyway I am doomed to do it manually. :-)

Update: I don't think the problem is in slow connection: after the switch to wireframe, the previously invisible object appears immediately. Not a second delay, it just "was here", albeit invisible. This differs from the situation when previously not loaded objects became loaded in a few seconds (and the process of loading is clearly visible itself).

2014-05-24 18:21:51
Profile WWW

The fact of toggling the wireframe re-triggers a LOD calculation and refresh for objects. That's why it appears at once after that (i.e. your HUD may be stuck in a non-loading mesh LOD and get loaded at another LOD on wireframe toggling). There's nothing much to be done...

2014-05-24 19:55:26
Profile WWW

Hi Henri, hello Cyril,

I have been observing this as well. It does indeed seem to be restricted to some specific non-rigged mesh items. I have a top that suffers from this as well as a pair of boots. Forcing a LOD change (such as zooming out and back in/resetting view) will make them pop up immediately. It's a bit of a nuisance, but something I have learned to live with.

Love,
Lia

2014-06-01 04:47:05

The LOD issue with mesh/sculpted attachments has always existed on first rezzing (and a quick and slight zoom-in/zoom-out with the mouse wheel solves it), but it could have gotten worst with the new objects caching algorithm that went into v1.26.12 (because with this algorithm, objects get de-rezzed when not in the camera FOV and re-rezzed when coming back in view): if you are not seeing this issue with v1.26.8, then it's the case.

I don't see such an issue, here, but it could be dependent on a particular mesh model (or graphics driver: see below)... My advice is: try reproducing the issue with LL's latest release viewer (the one with the new objects caching scheme), and if successful to reproduce it, file a JIRA issue (mention only LL's viewer in it, for if they see a TPV cited, they'll disregard the JIRA issue on the pretext they don't support other viewers).

Also, try checking (if not already checked) the "Hide teleport progress screen" in "Preferences" -> "Cool features" -> "User Interface": it could help avoiding the attachments to briefly de-rez on TP...

Another possibility is that the vertex buffer resetting that occurs after a TP intervenes at a bad timing on your system (which could be dependent on the graphics driver). This reset occurs (slightly) differently than in LL's viewer, but it solved other issues for me... Try "Advanced" -> "Rendering" -> "Reset Vertex Buffers" when the attachment fails to rez, and let me know if it makes any difference.

2014-06-01 09:38:12
Profile WWW

I hope I am not doing the wrong thing by reviving this thread, but I did a search for "attachments invisible" to research the problem, and found this. In relation to Henri's advice above, I tried:

1) Turning off the teleport progress screen. That did not affect whether my mesh attachments went invisible on TP.

2) "Advanced" -> "Rendering" -> "Reset Vertex Buffers". This did bring all my invisible attachments back with a single command! Thank you so much Henri! Any chance of a shortcut key (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-V seems free)? ;) Come to think of it, is there a way to open the top-bar menus in Second Life from the keyboard?

2016-02-21 23:59:06

linyifei wrote:
I hope I am not doing the wrong thing by reviving this thread, but I did a search for "attachments invisible" to research the problem, and found this.

This thread relates to a totally deprecated viewer version. Please, use the latest stable viewer (v1.26.16). If you still encounter such an issue with the latest viewer, this might be a graphics driver bug. Please also post the viewer version info and the log in this case.

2016-02-22 08:21:44
Profile WWW

I'm sorry, Henri, I should have said. I'm using 1.26.16.13, the latest available for the Mac, but I certainly do experience the problem described by the OP in this thread.

I'll open a new thread, and post a log.

2016-02-22 11:15:20
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]