Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-20 04:06:31

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Watchdog killed the client 

Hello,

the Watchdog just killed the client, and I don't know why. SL was working all well.

http://tillie-world.net/files/logs.zip

I think SL has a problem with my CPU Upgrade. I switch to a new motherboard and a new intel i7-6700k and new memory.

Firestorm only runs with like 30-40 fps where Cool VL Viewer runs with 80-120 fps (both had the same fps level before the upgrade), but Cool VL Viewer now kicks me with this error. :-(

EDIT: happened again. I was just editing a script and POOF.

2015-09-10 11:49:26

Tillie wrote:
Hello,

the Watchdog just killed the client, and I don't know why. SL was working all well.

http://tillie-world.net/files/logs.zip
Nothing wrong in the logs... Viewer side, everything seems fine. The watchdog kicks in when the graphics driver fails to return from an OpenGL call in time, indicating a thread crash, a freeze or an infnite loop during the graphics driver execution. You could try and run the graphics driver in non-threaded mode to see if it still crashes and, if it does, whether you can get a better crash report (not involving the watchdog, which can happen in non-threaded mode).

Quote:
I think SL has a problem with my CPU Upgrade. I switch to a new motherboard and a new intel i7-6700k and new memory.

Firestorm only runs with like 30-40 fps where Cool VL Viewer runs with 80-120 fps (both had the same fps level before the upgrade),
Apparently, the Cool VL Viewer's optimizations fare much better with the new CPU... :lol:

Quote:
but Cool VL Viewer now kicks me with this error. :-(

EDIT: happened again. I was just editing a script and POOF.
The issue is probably with the GPU, not the CPU (the latter would cause a crash in the viewer code, while the former crashes during the graphics driver execution). At this frame rate, your GPU could get close to overheating, or it could stress too much your power supply unit (if it is not powerful enough), or this could be a problem with overclocked CPU/RAM/GPU/VRAM. Watch your cores and GPU temperatures, and see if any is getting too hot.

Note that after building a new system, it's a good practice to stress-test it in order to check its stability under heavy loads. I'd recommend you to run BOINC with a project such as Einstein@Home and/or Milkyway@Home: these really get both the GPU and CPU hot (you'll probably never get them hotter any time) and 100% loaded (especially with SSE operations, which makes the CPU the hottest). Run them overnight, and check that your PC is still running (and that all the finished work units sent didn't show any math error) the next morning...

You could also run a stress-test for the DDR SDRAM, using MemTest86. Here again, run it overnight, and in UEFI mode (to get the latest tests, such as the row hammering one).

2015-09-10 15:28:54
Profile WWW

Okay, I reinstalled the graphics drivers (clean install, where it removes the previous driver stuff and presets I did). Maybe that did it. We'll see.

There is no problem with the high frames, the gtx 980 is very fast and idling around most of the time, despite the 4k display. :-)

With full shadows, framerate in Cool VL Viewer too drops to like 20-30 fps... and I do not do any overclocking, it's not worth it.

I'll do some tests this week to see if maybe some components are flawed. Thanks!

2015-09-10 16:26:21

Ok, all the problems I had (CV = watchdog kills, Firestorm = very low framerates etc.) went away after a complete reinstall of Windows 10.

Apparently the mixup of drivers for two different mainboards broke the whole thing.

2015-09-12 21:55:16
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]