Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 15:35:27

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
coolVl viewer will not successfully install or run 

upgraded cool viewer from 1.26.14.13 on the 30th to 1.26.16.1
has been running fine until now. was using the viewer last night and when I logged off at 2:32AM everything was fine.. and those are the last events in the log. (attached)
when I tried to start the viewer this morning, it would not start and all I see is this:

https://gyazo.com/4370f66e86ebaf7a8f1cc59ab3fa9a0c

4 cool processes running that I cannot kill.
I reboot the computer
I try to uninstall cool. it tells me I have to wait until the program is finished being changed or uninstalled. (after a fresh reboot!)
I manually delete the files from the cool program directory, except it won't let me delete the uninstall.exe because it says it is in use.
I reboot again.. now I can delete uninstall.exe and the folder

I have moved the C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife folder to another drive AND renamed it to preserve it (my chat logs)
so this folder no longer exists

(after having been through this process at least 12 times I have begun doing these steps as well)

I clean EVERY file and folder from my system drive having to do with cool.. the program directory, the cache in C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local
the start menu entries, the icons, everything

I use the registry editor to find and remove anything having to do with coolVL

I have COMPLETELY removed every trace of cool from my system.

when I try to install EITHER 1.26.14.13 or 1.26.16.1 the same thing happens. it goes through the install and when it's done I get this screen.

https://gyazo.com/2bcbbcef3ab174dc4d24b5a716e0cd63

then the install hangs as you can see in the photo it says not responding

if I try to start cool... I get this again.. just like I originally did

https://gyazo.com/4370f66e86ebaf7a8f1cc59ab3fa9a0c

I cannot provide you with any new logs because the program will not start now.

nothing on the system changed since the last time cool was started and ran successfully, in fact the computer was still running from the last session when I first tried to start it up this morning.

I have run a chkdsk on the drive and it checks out fine.

my system (according to firestorm because I cannot get cool to start at all now)

Firestorm 4.7.5 (47975) Nov 9 2015 14:22:38 (Firestorm-Release) with Havok support
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor (2200.09 MHz)
Memory: 12288 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1404
OpenGL Version: 4.2.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.200.1062.1004

RestrainedLove API: RLV v2.8.0 / RLVa v1.4.10a
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.38.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1h zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.56
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Vintage (Classic)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 2000 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium (3/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2015-11-19T22:18:39
Built with MSVC version 1800

Attachments:
CoolVLViewer.zip [22.29 KiB]
Downloaded 171 times
2015-12-03 16:19:00

Without a log of the hung session (not of a previous, successfully closed session), I cannot diagnose the issue.

However, the issue in question probably got nothing to do at all with the Cool VL Viewer itself. There is no reason why it would have worked for you yesterday and then not anymore today, from a clean install.

In this case, the usual suspects are, in likeliness order:

• A virus you just caught on your system and that is not yet in the antivirus database (check with another antivirus: I recommend ClamWin).
  • An anti-virus that just updated its database and suddenly considers the viewer as suspect and is blocking it (disable the antivirus and Windows Defender and see what happens).
  • A problem with your graphics driver or a recently updated Windows component (check Windows updates log to see if something got installed in your back since last time the viewer worked).
  • Corrupted sectors on your hard disk (you will need to run a hardware ("Smart" tool) checking utility, as provided by your hard disk vendor since Windows disk check won't detect all hardware issues).
  • A corrupted file (registry, DLL ?) on your system that would block the viewer (and installer, apparently !) from loading one of the system files...
  • A problem with Windows firewall that would block any network request from the Cool VL Viewer (unlikely to block the viewer from at least starting up and showing).

2015-12-03 16:37:53
Profile WWW

Just to note, for the casual readers, that the reporter told me out of this forum it was their anti-virus blocking the viewer.

2015-12-13 10:13:07
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]