Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 22:33:22

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Viewer Crashing 

Well like I said I did let it go though its cycle and crash on me the last two times. But there was not a dump file for it for the given day.

I hope my system is not super slow. I just got it 11 months ago. https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GE62-Apache-P ... cification

Well, TP'ing is a grid issue at best. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen, its very frustrating. Happens more to others and sometimes hardly at all.

Geoff

2016-11-02 15:37:47

BTW I just looked again at my log files after crashing two times again, One was a sim crash, the other, well I'm not sure, I was just inworld idle and everything went gray and got the two buttons saying view chat or quit. But I don't think either one was logged into today, but I did see the bump file was modified yesterday. woot!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9sV-i ... sp=sharing

Geoff

2016-11-02 16:27:20

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
One was a sim crash, the other, well I'm not sure, I was just inworld idle and everything went gray and got the two buttons saying view chat or quit.
This is *NOT* a crash !... It's simply the sign that the viewer lost the contact with the sim server (network issue, or server down) and got disconnected as a result of a network timeout.

2016-11-02 16:33:48
Profile WWW

Ok not a crash... I did get this message just now

Attachment:
Wachdog_timeout.jpg
Wachdog_timeout.jpg [ 40.74 KiB | Viewed 2038 times ]
\

So there could be an issue with my computer when I do get these messages.

Geoff

2016-11-02 16:51:03

Graphics drivers are the usual suspects in such a case... Note that Windoze 10 is known to have super-shitty graphics drivers... Better rolling back to Windows 7, if you still can...

2016-11-02 17:25:28
Profile WWW

Beside the graphics drivers issue you seem having, I found two possible causes for your problems.

There was a possible race condition (due to a flaky locking scheme) in LL's code for textures fetches abortion (which is only used in LL's viewer for debug purposes, but that I also use in the Cool VL Viewer after each successful TP, in order to cancel all the useless fetches for textures that where present in the departing sim, thus freeing more network bandwidth and memory for rezzing in the arrival sim); this could potentially lead to a crash in the texture fetch worker (never seen it happening under Linux, but it does not mean it was impossible).

There is also another issue: apparently, Dream Nation sends tens of thousands of objects in the viewer's face and these are deleted "en bloc" on TP (instead of a few hundreds or a couple thousands in SL), leading to very large objects list cleanup time; add to this fact that LL's cleanup code was utterly slow, and you get the "freezes" that can last several seconds for *each* sim that gets disconnected after the TP departure. Same thing on viewer shutdown. I sped up the code by two orders of magnitude (yes, that 100 times faster for large lists !), and this is therefore not an issue any more.

Please, test the binary I gave the URL for in PM, and let me know how it fares for you.

I believe there's also something fishy with the objects cache (the objects that are not in the FOV should be pushed in the cache and removed from memory, instead of staying forever allocated till the next TP/relog) which works fine in SL but seems to stay empty in DN, so I'll investigate further...

2016-11-02 18:40:19
Profile WWW

To your previous reply post: My laptop came with Windows 10 on it. But even with my old laptop running Windows 7 I saw a lot more of those Watchdog timeouts.

I am testing the test version right now and will let you know what happens. So far so good. :)

Geoff

2016-11-03 01:08:16

Just an update, The beta test viewer you made with the changes is a huge improvement. Notice some very short freezes about 3 seconds after arriving at your destination which only lasted for a few seconds. Shutting down the viewer took just as long as before, about a minute to close.

After the upgrade patches to the grid that took place yesterday, TP'ing seemed slower. But still a huge improvement!

Geoff

2016-11-04 16:59:24

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
Just an update, The beta test viewer you made with the changes is a huge improvement. Notice some very short freezes about 3 seconds after arriving at your destination which only lasted for a few seconds.
A few seconds is still a lot (less than half a second for the tests I did, to clean-up 20000+ dead objects from the objects list in DN, after TP)... You should see the corresponding messages (with exact timing) in the viewer log, when regions get disconnected. Also, make sure you got the "Advanced" -> "Network" -> "Staged sim disabling" setting enabled: it allows to remove sims one by one, with a one second interval (that you can change in the Beta binary you have via the new "StagedSimDisablingDelay" setting), instead of removing them all at once (which could indeed cause a few seconds of "freeze" after each TP, depending on the number of sims that were connected before the TP departure).

Quote:
Shutting down the viewer took just as long as before, about a minute to close.
I still cannot reproduce such an issue (including on WIndows 7 and 10 systems)... Frankly, I believe your system is somehow screwed (check that some malware/virus or anti-malware/anti-virus are not slowing disk writes and programs loading/closing)...

2016-11-04 19:44:19
Profile WWW

I did check to see if the "Staged sim disabling" is enabled and it was already.. I cleared my cache and TP'ing is much better now and do not have that freeze screen after arriving at my destination.

Shutting down the viewer, well like you said my system is probable screwy. But today it did close under 30 sec... I tried both disabling my anti-malware and anti-virus and enabling them. didn't seem to make any difference. But I am happy if it closes under 30 sec now. :)

I just need to clear my cache more often. ;)

Thank you for all your help!! This is a huge difference in TP'ing now that its faster and no crashing! Can't wait for the next version to be released!

Geoff

2016-11-05 02:15:22
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2