Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 22:09:36

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Login Failed 

Decided to try Cool VL again. And... It does not let me log in:

I presume, it is because my password contains "<" symbol (other symbols are just letters and numbers)
Other passwords work fine (I can login into my alt).
I can also login just fine with this password using both regular SL viewer (5th version) and the fart-storm viewer.
Also I can login into second life websites using this password.

2016-12-18 18:19:30

Please follow the rules and provide the logs and the About floater details: without them, I can't even know what OS you are running the viewer under !

2016-12-18 23:00:58
Profile WWW

Sorry, somehow I thought as all other viewers are fine the trouble may not be system-specific and as I can login other avatars the logs might not help :oops:
There you go:

Attachments:
File comment: debug_info.log and CoolVLViewer.log
logs.zip [10.57 KiB]
Downloaded 163 times
2016-12-19 01:57:51

Nothing wrong appearing in the logs. So I made the following tests:
  1. I created a new avatar in Second Life from a web browser, using a "<" in the password.
  2. The creation staid stuck at the final, "Activating" step (with the spinning icon shown and nothing happening next).
  3. I repeated the above procedure at least 5 times, to no avail.
  4. I repeated it again, but this time I replaced the "<" in the password with a dash ("-"), and the creation succeeded... Not sure if it was due to the password or if SL servers were just too slow/too swamped with requests, so I went further:
  5. I logged into the web site as the new avatar, then changed the password to put back the "<" in place of the "-" sign.
  6. I logged into SL with the Cool VL Viewer and the password containing the "<": no problem...
  7. Since I was using Linux, I logged out, launched a Windows session on another computer, and logged in again with the Cool VL Viewer: again, no issue...

The bottom line is that I cannot reproduce your issue here... The fact the avatar creation failed for me with the password containing a "<" may just be a glitch... or not... But in any case, the viewer still logged me in just fine with that password.

I also looked in the code: the only difference between the Cool VL Viewer and other TPVs based on LL's v2/3/4/5 code is that the password is also saved by the former as an encrypted string in the password.dat file. But there is nothing that could explain that the "<" character would be rejected or modified...

My advice is that you try harder. Are you positively *sure* you did not miss-type your password ?... Or did you type it *before* (instead of typing it last, which is the required procedure) choosing the avatar name in the combo box (in which case, it gets replaced with the password corresponding to the chosen avatar/grid combination, including if it's the same avatar) ? Or did you copy/paste your password instead of typing it (if your system locale is "exotic", like Cyrillic, Arab, Chinese, Greek, etc, then there could be UTF-8 to ASCII translation issues when pasting into the viewer input line) ?

2016-12-19 14:56:25
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Are you positively *sure* you did not miss-type your password ?... Or did you type it *before* (instead of typing it last, which is the required procedure) choosing the avatar name in the combo box (in which case, it gets replaced with the password corresponding to the chosen avatar/grid combination, including if it's the same avatar) ? Or did you copy/paste your password instead of typing it (if your system locale is "exotic", like Cyrillic, Arab, Chinese, Greek, etc, then there could be UTF-8 to ASCII translation issues when pasting into the viewer input line) ?

Nope, I'm absolutely sure I wrote it correctly, as I've tried multiple times and even tried copypasting password. And the order was correct too, of course. As well as grid et cetera :cry:
Will do other attempts, also will try to use that same password on other avatars. Also maybe will try to change my password to something less.. um, exotic. Will report back.

2016-12-19 21:31:54
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]