Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 04:44:38

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
possible bug: "clothing not in database" 

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Also, do you remember if these problems appeared just after you updated some packages (security fixes and such) on your system ?.. if yes, then the issue could be related with the corresponding update (try downgrading to the previous version of the package in this case).

The problem has been going for at least a whole year, on and off, and in that time i've been going through several distribution versions, from suse 10.2 to 11.2...

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
make sure you got "eyes" and "hair" (not just prim hair) bodyparts worn on your avatar (it is possible to remove them via double-click or restrainedLife in the Cool SL Viewer, but used to result in a not fully rezzed avatar for others, and could possibly explain why your issue affects only wearables, even if I can't reproduce it myself here).

I don't think i ever took off eyes or hair base, but i'll keep an eye out for that.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Yet another thing: do you encounter this problem with different avatars or with just one ?

more than one, and now my wife "has it" too...

2009-12-14 20:01:14
Profile YIM WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Also, do you remember if these problems appeared just after you updated some packages (security fixes and such) on your system ?.. if yes, then the issue could be related with the corresponding update (try downgrading to the previous version of the package in this case).

The problem has been going for at least a whole year, on and off, and in that time i've been going through several distribution versions, from suse 10.2 to 11.2...
If it has been one full year, then it is extremely unlikely that the culprit is among the patches of the Cool SL Viewer which went through v1.20 to v1.23 during this period, with different sets of patches each time, and none affecting the inventory before v1.22 was out (at which point the "Worn" tab was added, but can't affect the inventory in this manner either)... Beside, you are the only person to report such a problem, so I'd tend to consider that you simply spend much more time with the Cool SL Viewer than with any other viewer and therefore only see the problem occurring with the former but actually do have a corrupted inventory issue...

To be sure, just switch to another viewer for a while, and see if it happens with it too... If it does happen, then you have a definitive answer (and if you use the official viewer, you can tell Lindens that there is actually an inventory issue on your Av(s), and get them to fix it). If it doesn't happen at all with the official viewer, then it's a pure mystery...

Oh... this issue could possibly be network related too... Try reducing the MTU (it defaults to 1500, but most ADSL links will not allow over 1492 and this can result in many lost or corrupted packets, especially with UDP). To be on the safe side, I set mine to 1400 (ifconfig eth0 mtu 1400)

2009-12-14 21:20:44
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Oh... this issue could possibly be network related too... Try reducing the MTU (it defaults to 1500, but most ADSL links will not allow over 1492 and this can result in many lost or corrupted packets, especially with UDP). To be on the safe side, I set mine to 1400 (ifconfig eth0 mtu 1400)

that shouldn't actually be the culprit, my firewall is a linux 2.6 kernel with the mss_clamp feature active, that is supposed to take care of that MTU problem for aDSL...
but i shall look into that.

... i actually have this active in my firewall:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Adv ... u-mss.html

but that seems to be only for tcp packets.

i'll fiddle with the mtu a bit.

2009-12-15 09:20:21
Profile YIM WWW

short tests show: with a mtu of 1500 on my ethernet intefaces i get an average of 0.25 dropped packets (from the end of SecondLife.log)
with a mtu of 1492 i get 0.05%

...and there's a dhcp option to set the mtu for all dhcp clients XD
let's see what this is worth.

2009-12-15 09:55:57
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2