Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 17:56:35

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Possible alpha masking issue with v1.26.21.9 

I'm getting a strange behaviour with the latest version but it's happening only with something I can do with my mesh body so far, so I'm not sure where the problem comes from. As many mesh bodies, mine supports clothing layers, and to be able to workaround the famous transparency stacking bug, it allows to change the alpha mode for each of the layers from alpha blending to alpha masking. This used to work well, and it does work in v1.26.21.8. But in v1.26.21.9, whenever I switch the mode to alpha masking, the parts of the layer that should be transparent appear completely black. The problem is that, of course, I have no idea what the settings for the alpha mask they useā€¦ I tried to reproduce the problem on a basic cube prim, and also on a basic mesh cube, but I couldn't do it. With my mesh body, I tried with various appliers, including some I did myself, and it's always the same: fully transparent parts appear black with the alpha mode set to "masking".
Can anybody reproduce the problem with something else, or is it something my mesh body does badly?
Thanks.

2018-02-18 07:23:16

There is one change (an optimization backported from Singularity) that could possibly explain a change in how alphas are rendered, but it applies to glowing faces: is your mesh set glowing ?
Also, is there a difference when you toggle deferred rendering on/off ?
What OS are you using, what is your graphics card, driver version, etc ?... Please fill-up a proper bug report, and do provide a repro so that I can see the issue happening by myself (and test my changes to fix it)... For a start, you could for example "Edit" your mesh, select the texture tool, click on the affected face and then see what parameters are used on it (full bright or not, glow or not, alpha mode, materials or not etc).

2018-02-18 08:28:28
Profile WWW

Ok, I could see the problem happening myself on an avatar and found the culprit (yet another rendering optimization backported from Singularity, dealing with materials). I will fix the bogus code and publish new releases later today. Note that it happens only in non-deferred render mode.

2018-02-18 10:09:34
Profile WWW

Fixed releases published for Linux and Windows.

2018-02-18 13:30:55
Profile WWW

Sorry for not answering earlier, RL kept me away during the week-end. The latest version corrects the issue, thank you very much! :)

2018-02-19 07:56:42
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]