Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 12:59:40

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Parcel audio broken and slow SLPlugin startup in 1.26.21.14 

Amalia Illios wrote:
just for my understanding ... I thought SLPlugin is the general process that provides external media capability to the viewer, and it in turn then goes ahead and uses whatever is the en vogue flavour of the week to render the content? So Viewer <-> SLPlugin <-> Dullahan | Plain CEF | Webkit? :)
The viewer launches the SLPlugin executable and passes it (via a port) the plugin name (a shared object: media_plugin_*.[so|dll|dylib]), SLPlugin then loading it and passing messages back and forth between the viewer and the plugin object which is itself a loader and interface (which Dullahan is part of) for the actual media library (CEF, gstreamer, QtWebkit, VLC...). In the case of the CEF plugin, it's even more complex since libcef.so will itself launch multiple instances of a host executable (dullahan_host) and possibly a sandbox (the latter is not used by the Cool VL Viewer because it is a huge pain in the ass and only causes more troubles). Frankly, I find CEF a very poor browser, bloated, slow and complex, and I almost regret the v1.18 viewer old times, when the browser plugin was using a Mozilla library...

Quote:
My observation using top is that SLPlugin starts, ramps up to 100% right away, stays there and then as soon as the Dullahan process crops up in the process list, SLPlugin normalizes again. The content is rendered in the viewer momentarily after that. Very weird, almost as if SLPlugin was busy-polling for an initial reply from Dullahan or something ... :?
Not waiting for Dullahan but more likely CEF (libcef.so). It is probable that CEF got issues acquiring some lock or resource on your system...

2018-03-31 10:32:36
Profile WWW

Hello again Henri,

thank you for taking the time to explain how these things work together! :D

Love,
Lia

2018-03-31 20:40:13

Hello Henri,

just a quick update on the SLPlugin startup time: after upgrading the OS, it is no longer an issue. :D

Love,
Lia

2018-04-14 07:50:32

Thanks for this confirmation that it was not a viewer issue.

2018-04-14 10:39:50
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2