Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-23 08:16:38

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Inside Alpha Rendered as Black 

I noticed about a month ago that inside faces with alpha now get rendered as black instead of being rendered alpha, unless the outside faces also have alpha. Until a few days ago I thought it was just a texture cache issue with a mirror object that I use that normally shows the avatar through an alpha texture. But it didn't go away after I cleared the texture cache, so I finally tested it with a hollowed prim. Today I discovered that the inside alpha is only rendered properly if the outside has alpha.

I made a test object so you can see if it's a viewer issue or not, but I didn't know if it's ok to send. You can make one like this:

1. Create a large cube and hollow to 95.
    2. Set alpha of inside face to 100.
    3. Set alpha of outside East face to 100.
    4. Set alpha of outside West face to 100.

For me, that leaves the inside North and South faces as black, and the Inside East and West faces as invisible.

I'm using the latest Windows version, 1.26.22.55. I don't have any older versions from the last month to test with.

2019-08-07 10:01:09

I cannot reproduce this here, in either deferred or non-deferred render mode...

Attachment:
HollowedCubeWithTransparentInternalFace.jpg
HollowedCubeWithTransparentInternalFace.jpg [ 30.88 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Either it's a graphics driver bug, or you changed some obscure graphics setting in the viewer that causes it (try with wiped out/default settings to confirm)...

2019-08-07 13:56:41
Profile WWW

Thank you for testing, you're right that it only occurs with some non-default setting. It looks normal when my settings file is renamed and a new one is created.

With my saved settings, it looks normal when basic shaders is turned off. The default settings have basic shaders turned on, and it looks normal, so that means one of my non-default settings is messing something up with the basic shaders.

I also found out that the reverse is also true: the outside alpha is black if the other side isn't alpha. What's also interesting is that the object I originally noticed a problem with actually looks fine with deferred rendering turned on. The test object still looks wrong, with a different solid color for the alpha depending on the deferred rendering setting. So it seems like deferred rendering alpha has a higher priority over basic shaders alpha sometimes.

I'm glad it's a problem with my settings and not a general viewer problem. I hope this post helps other people in the future learn how to check if their settings are the problem. I can post an update if I find out what the particular non-default setting is that messes up basic shader alpha.

2019-08-11 04:39:48
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]