Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-25 09:08:17

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Avatar rendering as black with a dress on 

Hello Henri,

So I tested the latest release v1.26.22.65 today. There are improvement, however, the skin texture layer is still not fully loading with Firestorm and with Singular Alpha viewer. However Alchemy viewer loaded the skin texture just fine. I asked Waki to recruit some more testers to see if they get the same results or not.

Thanks,
Geoff

2019-10-26 18:30:32

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
So I tested the latest release v1.26.22.65 today. There are improvement, however, the skin texture layer is still not fully loading with Firestorm and with Singular Alpha viewer. However Alchemy viewer loaded the skin texture just fine. I asked Waki to recruit some more testers to see if they get the same results or not.

What do you mean by "not fully loading" ?...

If it's about the level of detail of the texture, it is a known issue with Firestorm (and it's their bug to solve: they display the low res texture that gets uploaded first, apparently ignoring the high res one that comes after and does get properly uploaded too by my viewer). I'm however surprised that the new Singularity "picked up" that bug... It worked just fine till and including its last official release version (v1.8.7).

2019-10-26 18:42:58
Profile WWW

Hello Henri,
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
What do you mean by "not fully loading" ?...

The textures that Firestorm was showing was showing it was "Loading..." when you use the builtin menu avatar texture for another avatar. See screenshot:

Firestorm Texture analyzer of my main avatar on Cool VL

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
If it's about the level of detail of the texture, it is a known issue with Firestorm (and it's their bug to solve: they display the low res texture that gets uploaded first, apparently ignoring the high res one that comes after and does get properly uploaded too by my viewer).

So yes, the skin texture is a very very low quality and could be a Firestorm bug. From what I am hearing, the FS developers have no plans to fix any Opensim bugs in the foreseeable future.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
I'm however surprised that the new Singularity "picked up" that bug...

Sorry, I mixed up my viewers.. Singular Alpha viewer (v1.8.7 (6994)) worked fine and displayed my avatar on CVL correctly. Alchemy viewer (v5.0.7 (41341)) had the same results as Firestorm.

Thank you for your help!
Geoff

Last edited by GeoffEarnshaw on 2019-10-29 03:13:38, edited 1 time in total.

2019-10-27 17:50:39

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
The textures that Firestorm was showing was showing it was "Loading..." when you use the builtin menu avatar texture for another avatar.
Firestorm bug, and I can do nothing about it from my viewer....

My viewer does upload all the proper textures to the server and also recovers them properly (seen from another instance) from the sim server. Equally, Singularity shows that my viewer properly sends the high resolution bakes.

Code:
From what I am hearing, the FS developers have no plans to fix any Opensim bugs in the foreseeable future.
Their problem, not mine...

As far as I am concerned, the case is closed.

2019-10-27 18:49:01
Profile WWW

Good news. I found why the textures are blurry in Firestorm: its image decoder (KDU) is apparently unable to deal with the texture compression rates I used when encoding the textures with OpenJPEG (the said rates working just fine with viewers using OpenJPEG instead of KDU, such as Singularity). Note that this also would affect any texture uploaded in JPEG2000 format.

I restored the old set of rates for the next release so that the brain-dead Firestorm-KDU will be able to see things "clearly" again...

2019-10-29 22:40:14
Profile WWW

Thank you Henri for all the hard work with DN fixing the bugs we reported in Cool VL Viewer. We now tested the viewer extensively with Linux and Windows, and the viewer seems to be working very well handling mesh and alphas and BOM etc etc. The texture problem Geoff reported is as you note a problem in the Brain Dead Firestorm. Your comment on why applies to FS users seeing blurry textures to.

Now I just have to wait with bated breath for the Mac update to be released. Hugs.

2019-10-30 19:58:54

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Good news. I found why the textures are blurry in Firestorm: its image decoder (KDU) is apparently unable to deal with the texture compression rates I used when encoding the textures with OpenJPEG (the said rates working just fine with viewers using OpenJPEG instead of KDU, such as Singularity). Note that this also would affect any texture uploaded in JPEG2000 format.

I restored the old set of rates for the next release so that the brain-dead Firestorm-KDU will be able to see things "clearly" again...

That is good news! Thank you Henri!

Also, you might find interesting the latest HyperGrid Business article about the new Opensim version 0.9.1.0 and one of the new features is BoM. They say no current viewer supports it. :shock:
https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2019/10/new-opensim-release/

Geoff

2019-10-30 21:12:14

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
Also, you might find interesting the latest HyperGrid Business article about the new Opensim version 0.9.1.0 and one of the new features is BoM. They say no current viewer supports it. :shock:
LOL !

Typical of OpenSim developers, alas... They do stuff in their small corner and never contact a single TPV developer... Then they whine because no viewer support their stuff... When some actually do, even though the TPV developers had to reverse engineer OpenSim features to implement support for them !

Laaaaaame !

2019-10-30 21:21:47
Profile WWW

You might be interested to know that DreamNation has been running OS 0.9.1.0 for a few weeks now. So when you were testing Cool VL Viewer on your sandbox on DN you were testing it with OS that has all the latest developments. Actually I only found out that today accidentally. Our chief monkey was the original developer of XMRE, now LEngine. It seems he forgot to tell me that OS developers were testing the upgrade on DN. So TPV developers are not the only ones kept in the dark, lolz.

2019-10-31 02:36:40

Waki Janus wrote:
You might be interested to know that DreamNation has been running OS 0.9.1.0 for a few weeks now.
Well, either the simulator used for the region you attributed to me got the Universal wearable support disabled, or the OS devels failed to properly implement that support, (did they forget to add the "BakesOnMeshEnabled" simulator feature flag ?), meaning my viewer won't use Universal on it, even when permitted to do so by the user ("Preferences" floater -> "Cool features" tab -> "Miscellaneous" sub-tab, "Upload additional bakes in OpenSim regions advertising bake-on-mesh support")...

2019-10-31 09:58:07
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next