Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 14:28:28

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Severe stuttering and GPU usage drops 

Hey,

Wanted to try out CoolVL after hearing others talking about it, but CoolVL is completely unusable for me. The entire viewer will freeze up every couple of seconds or so when logged in, regardless of any settings I change. My GPU usage is all over the place, dropping to 0, then going back up to around 30% ish. CoolVL is the only viewer that has this problem on this system (tested with Alchemy, Singularity, Firestorm, Black Dragon & Linden viewers)

Code:
Cool VL Viewer v1.28.2.3, 64 bits, Jan  9 2021 10:23:37
RestrainedLove viewer v2.09.28.20
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor              (3892.69 MHz)
Memory: 32681MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 10 64 bits v10.0 (build 10586.746)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Windows graphics driver version: Loading...
OpenGL version: 4.2.14757 Compatibility Profile Context 20.12.2 27.20.14501.33001
Detected VRAM: 16368MB
J2C decoder: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635f
Audio driver: FMOD Studio v2.01.07
Networking backend: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8
Embedded browser: CEF3 plugin v81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138

Built with: MSVC v1916
Compiler-generated maths: SSE2.

Compile flags used for this build:
/O2 /Oi /MP /DNDEBUG /D_SECURE_SCL=0 /D_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0 /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /std:c++14 /Oy- /GS /fp:fast /TP /W2 /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t- /c /nologo /Zc:threadSafeInit- /DLL_WINDOWS=1 /DUNICODE /D_UNICODE /DWINVER=0x0600 /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0600 /DXML_STATIC /DLL_USE_NETBIOS=1 /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DLL_FMOD=1 /DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC /DAPU_DECLARE_STATIC /DCURL_STATICLIB=1 /DLIB_NDOF=1

Attachments:
CoolVLViewerLog.zip [23.98 KiB]
Downloaded 102 times
2021-01-13 19:31:35

The problem seems to be an issue with the voice client, not a GPU one. Here is a pair of relevant lines (repeated many times and likely causing large "hiccups" in the main viewer loop) in your log:
Code:
2021-01-13T19:23:31Z INFO: LLProcessLauncher::launch: Executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe arguments: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe" -i 127.0.0.1:44000 -ll 0 -lf C:\Users\Tim Horton\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs -lp SLVoice -ls .log -st 5
2021-01-13T19:23:34Z WARNING: ll_apr_warn_status: APR: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Check that your firewall or an anti-virus is not blocking the viewer or the SLVoice client... Also try with voice disabled to see if it is indeed the cause of the problem.

2021-01-13 22:07:15
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
The problem seems to be an issue with the voice client, not a GPU one. Here is a pair of relevant lines (repeated many times and likely causing large "hiccups" in the main viewer loop) in your log:
Code:
2021-01-13T19:23:31Z INFO: LLProcessLauncher::launch: Executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe arguments: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe" -i 127.0.0.1:44000 -ll 0 -lf C:\Users\Tim Horton\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs -lp SLVoice -ls .log -st 5
2021-01-13T19:23:34Z WARNING: ll_apr_warn_status: APR: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Check that your firewall or an anti-virus is not blocking the viewer or the SLVoice client... Also try with voice disabled to see if it is indeed the cause of the problem.

Hey,

Thank you! That worked - no idea why CoolVL specifically is being blocked, but at least we know what it was!

Thanks!

2021-01-13 22:36:21

Jenna Huntsman wrote:
Thank you! That worked - no idea why CoolVL specifically is being blocked
Probably anti-virus or firewall (the connection is made by the viewer to the local machine and SLVoice serves it from 127.0.0.1: check the fw rules about that; perhaps a ports range issue too...).

2021-01-13 22:45:19
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Jenna Huntsman wrote:
Thank you! That worked - no idea why CoolVL specifically is being blocked
Probably anti-virus or firewall (the connection is made by the viewer to the local machine and SLVoice serves it from 127.0.0.1: check the fw rules about that; perhaps a ports range issue too...).

Just following up on this - Seems like it's not a firewall problem (Yesterday I just disabled voice to be able to test CoolVL) but it instead seems like CoolVL's integration with voice is broken, as SLVoice.exe is never started (hence why it's unable to connect to the voice service) Attached screenshots below, one with CoolVL (voice enabled), another with Alchemy (voice enabled; same region). (SLVoice in the CoolVL directory is whitelisted in my AV)

2021-01-14 14:35:16

SLVoice is started, but it gets killed as the viewer fails to connect to it (see the viewer log), so it does not have time to appear in the process list, which updates only every second or so..

It's an issue on your system however: I could test it successfully here on two different computers, both under Win7 and Win10 for each...

The usual suspect is the anti-virus...

2021-01-14 15:39:03
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
SLVoice is started, but it gets killed as the viewer fails to connect to it (see the viewer log), so it does not have time to appear in the process list, which updates only every second or so..

It's an issue on your system however: I could test it successfully here on two different computers, both under Win7 and Win10 for each...

The usual suspect is the anti-virus...

I've already tried just about everything I can do short of uninstalling my AV (which should not be required! -- disabled software firewall, disabled protection entirely, etc.) and made sure my hardware firewall is not blocking the application.

If it helps, my AV is ESET Internet Security (latest patch as of time of writing).

On another (unrelated to above) note relating to audio issues in CoolVL, positional audio seems to be bugged with my sound setup (5.1), as the front and rear channels are flipped resulting in some really disorientating problems happening when sounds are playing from an in-world source (UI sounds are fine)

2021-01-14 15:51:10

Jenna Huntsman wrote:
I've already tried just about everything I can do short of uninstalling my AV (which should not be required! -- disabled software firewall, disabled protection entirely, etc.) and made sure my hardware firewall is not blocking the application.
What can I say ?... It's working just fine for me:
Attachment:
SLVoice.jpg
SLVoice.jpg [ 30.39 KiB | Viewed 1894 times ]

Quote:
On another (unrelated to above) note relating to audio issues in CoolVL, positional audio seems to be bugged with my sound setup (5.1), as the front and rear channels are flipped resulting in some really disorientating problems happening when sounds are playing from an in-world source (UI sounds are fine)
Well, the viewer does not manage the audio channels beside the master left and right ones, so that would be an issue with your audio mixer... It might also explain the issue with SLVoice.exe (if the latter crashes or aborts as it tries to open the audio channels and mic)... SLVoice should write down a SLVoice.log file in /Users/<your_login_here>/AppData/Roaming/SecondLife/logs/
If there's one such log, see what it says... You may also set the VivoxDebugLevel variable to something higher than 0 to get a more verbose voice log.

2021-01-14 16:16:40
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Jenna Huntsman wrote:
What can I say ?... It's working just fine for me:
Attachment:
SLVoice.jpg

Quote:
Well, the viewer does not manage the audio channels beside the master left and right ones, so that would be an issue with your audio mixer... It might also explain the issue with SLVoice.exe (if the latter crashes or aborts as it tries to open the audio channels and mic)... SLVoice should write down a SLVoice.log file in /Users/<your_login_here>/AppData/Roaming/SecondLife/logs/
If there's one such log, see what it says... You may also set the VivoxDebugLevel variable to something higher than 0 to get a more verbose voice log.

Unfortunately there's no SLVoice.log file in that directory. I've also looked through the Vivox debug settings on Alchemy (to see if there's anything obviously different) and the only difference I found was the port used (Alchemy uses port 42475), but mirroring this in CoolVL did not get voice working.

Regarding the audio mixer, it shouldn't be - my normal daily driver viewer (Alchemy) does not present this issue, nor does the latest Linden viewer (haven't tested for this issue on any other viewer)

2021-01-14 17:02:56

If there is no log, even when you increase the debug level, then it would be a sign the system refuses to even start the voice client (and again, the anti-virus furiously looks like a potential culprit to me).

My advice is: uninstall the viewer, and reinstall it from scratch (in case something on your file-system would have gotten corrupted in some way). And while you are at it, do install it in "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86)" since this is a 64 bits viewer (the installation directory should not make any difference, but you never know with anti-viruses).

For the sound, it is dealt with by FMOD Studio. The Cool VL Viewer's is always the latest available version (other viewers might use a slightly older one). You could try and rename the fmod64.dll to fmod64.dll.orig and copy one of a working viewer in the installation directory, to see if it changes anything (doubtful, but you never know before trying). Oh, and you could try that with SLVoice.exe too, just in case (my viewer uses LL's latest one, and it does work fine for me here, but again, you never know)...

EDIT: for the sound, I indeed found a bug (left handed against right handed 3D audio space coordinates), that manifests itself with more than just stereo channels. This will be fixed in next release.

2021-01-14 17:50:34
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next