Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-23 14:34:07

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Severe stuttering and GPU usage drops 

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
If there is no log, even when you increase the debug level, then it would be a sign the system refuses to even start the voice client (and again, the anti-virus furiously looks like a potential culprit to me).

My advice is: uninstall the viewer, and reinstall it from scratch (in case something on your file-system would have gotten corrupted in some way). And while you are at it, do install it in "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86)" since this is a 64 bits viewer (the installation directory should not make any difference, but you never know with anti-viruses).

For the sound, it is dealt with by FMOD Studio. The Cool VL Viewer's is always the latest available version (other viewers might use a slightly older one). You could try and rename the fmod64.dll to fmod64.dll.orig and copy one of a working viewer in the installation directory, to see if it changes anything (doubtful, but you never know before trying). Oh, and you could try that with SLVoice.exe too, just in case (my viewer uses LL's latest one, and it does work fine for me here, but again, you never know)...

I just tried a reinstall (to the Program Files, not x86) and had the same issues. Tried also deleting the SecondLife folders in AppData to see if purging settings would help, but again, same issues.

Highly doubt these problems are AV related - again, disabling the AV in it's entirety had no effect on the problems presented.

EDIT: Will try the sound tweaks, didn't see that on my first read.

EDIT2: Tried swapping both the fmod.dll and SLVoice.exe from Alchemy, but unfortunately no luck. Same problem. Also tried with the files from the Linden viewer, again, same problem. Both viewers work fine by themselves, and do not present either the swapped channel issue or the voice issue.

2021-01-14 18:08:51

Just tried out of curiosity to swap the fmod.dll and SLVoice.exe FROM CoolVL over to Alchemy and see if it had any problems - Alchemy runs fine, voice functions as expected. Weird, but at least that (likely) rules out problems within fmod.dll and SLVoice.exe themselves

2021-01-14 18:57:45

It looks like you did not see the "EDIT" I added to my last message a few hours ago (only a few minutes after I posted it). The sound issue is resolved for next release.

As for the SLVoice issue, I'm short of ideas...

Quote:
Highly doubt these problems are AV related - again, disabling the AV in it's entirety had no effect on the problems presented.
"Disabling" an antivirus will just disable its real time engine, but won't remove the DLL hooks it installed in the system (these hooks are used to intercept sensitive system calls and prevent viruses/malwares to abuse them).

In any case, I cannot diagnose an issue I cannot reproduce myself and that leave no trace behind itself in the logs...

You could try and open the Windows events viewer (to be found among the administrative tools) and see if any error (or even warning) message is issued (most likely to appear in "Windows log" -> "System") when you try and launch voice from the viewer...

2021-01-14 22:26:50
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
It looks like you did not see the "EDIT" I added to my last message a few hours ago (only a few minutes after I posted it). The sound issue is resolved for next release.

Quote:
"Disabling" an antivirus will just disable its real time engine, but won't remove the DLL hooks it installed in the system (these hooks are used to intercept sensitive system calls and prevent viruses/malwares to abuse them).

In any case, I cannot diagnose an issue I cannot reproduce myself and that leave no trace behind itself in the logs...

You could try and open the Windows events viewer (to be found among the administrative tools) and see if any error (or even warning) message is issued (most likely to appear in "Windows log" -> "System") when you try and launch voice from the viewer...

Ah, sorry, didn't see that edit!

I'll put this to rest right now because I will have access to a machine without an AV installed in the next week, so i'll come back once I've tested on that machine to see if there's any different behaviour.

Thanks for being patient with me!

2021-01-14 23:06:26

Henri Beauchamp wrote:

Quote:

I lied, couldn't resist tinkering some more.

I FIXED IT! (or more accurately worked out a bodge)

Using a tool called TCPView, it turns out that for whatever reason CoolVL isn't launching SLVoice (or at least it never starts listening), BUT if I launch it manually from the CoolVL install location, it launches and listens on port 44125. If I then set the VivoxVoicePort setting to close to 44125, then wait for CoolVL to scan over 44125, it then connects and voice works! (also fixes the FPS drops, as expected).

I've attached the CoolVL logfile (no SLVoice log is being generated) using the above method.

I also noticed the command Alchemy uses to start SLVoice is in a slightly different format than that of CoolVL: (namely the position of the -i call)
Code:
2021-01-14T23:44:04Z INFO #LLProcess#  llcommon/llprocess.cpp(689) LLProcess::LLProcess : SLVoice.exe (5352): launched cd "C:\Program Files\AlchemyBeta": "C:\Program Files\AlchemyBeta\SLVoice.exe" -ll 0 -lf "C:\Users\Tim Horton\AppData\Roaming\Alchemy\logs" -lp SLVoice -ls .log -st 5 -i 127.0.0.1:33139

CoolVL:
Code:
2021-01-15T00:16:33Z INFO: LLProcessLauncher::launch: Executable: C:\Program Files\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe arguments: "C:\Program Files\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe" -i 127.0.0.1:44199 -ll 1 -lf C:\Users\Tim Horton\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs -lp SLVoice -ls .log -st 5

EDIT: Poked around in command prompt. The command CoolVL uses
Code:
"C:\Program Files\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe" -i 127.0.0.1:44199 -ll 1 -lf C:\Users\Tim Horton\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs -lp SLVoice -ls .log -st 5
does not launch SLVoice. BUT, swapping around the formatting (putting the -i call at the end, and putting the log directory in quotes) gets it to launch properly, so the working command is:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\CoolVLViewer-1.28.2\SLVoice.exe" -ll 1 -lf "C:\Users\Tim Horton\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs" -lp SLVoice -ls .log -st 5 -i 127.0.0.1:44199

So I've found that a good way of getting CoolVL to play nice with Voice enabled, is to launch TCPView, launch CoolVL (and log in) find out what port CoolVL is attempting to use for voice, and through a (non-elevated) command prompt, run the above CoolVL command with the port swapped out for one which is about to be scanned

Attachments:
File comment: Logs
CoolVLViewer-voicebodge.zip [18.77 KiB]
Downloaded 108 times

Last edited by Jenna Huntsman on 2021-01-15 00:47:01, edited 3 times in total.

2021-01-15 00:20:33

Jenna Huntsman wrote:

Using a tool called TCPView, it turns out that for whatever reason CoolVL isn't launching SLVoice (or at least it never starts listening), BUT if I launch it manually from the CoolVL install location, it launches and listens on port 44125.
It's not a fix, but a proof that, on your system, the SLVoice executable fails to launch, which, again, makes an anti-virus impeachment (Trump antivirus ? :lol: ) probable...

Please, try the Event Viewer trick I described in my last message: it may well give you the reason for the failure/refusal to launch the voice client.

As for the parameters, they are the same (just the log level which you changed from 0 to 1 in my viewer). The ports range is different too (but if it worked with port 44125 by launching manually, it should also work otherwise).

2021-01-15 00:33:13
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Jenna Huntsman wrote:

Using a tool called TCPView, it turns out that for whatever reason CoolVL isn't launching SLVoice (or at least it never starts listening), BUT if I launch it manually from the CoolVL install location, it launches and listens on port 44125.
It's not a fix, but a proof that, on your system, the SLVoice executable fails to launch, which, again, makes an anti-virus impeachment (Trump antivirus ? :lol: ) probable...

Please, try the Event Viewer trick I described in my last message: it may well give you the reason for the failure/refusal to launch the voice client.

As for the parameters, they are the same (just the log level which you changed from 0 to 1 in my viewer). The ports range is different too (but if it worked with port 44125 by launching manually, it should also work otherwise).

Sorry, I should have mentioned - I did look in the event viewer, but nothing relating to CoolVL or SLVoice was in there - also, see my above edit - restructuring the format of the command CoolVL uses to launch SLVoice gets it working (at least from command prompt)

EDIT: Could the reason for this be that the user directory (C:\Users\Tim Horton\) contains a space? I know command prompt gets funny if you address a directory which has a space, but don't enclose it within quotes

2021-01-15 00:38:16

Hmm... It's not the order of the parameters, but the quoting that might explain it !

What happens if you create an account with a name without space (try "guest" for example) and use the viewer from it ?

2021-01-15 00:43:51
Profile WWW

Jenna Huntsman wrote:
EDIT: Could the reason for this be that the user directory (C:\Users\Tim Horton\) contains a space? I know command prompt gets funny if you address a directory which has a space, but don't enclose it within quotes
We are posting too fast after each other ! :lol:

And yes, this is likely the problem... Windows way of starting a process is totally retarded; under Linux or macOS, you pass a table of string arguments, so it does not matter if they contain spaces or not, while under Windows you pass a single string, with the space as an argument separator...

For next release, I modified LLProcessLauncher to quote any argument containing a space, under Windows only, of course.

2021-01-15 00:52:03
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Hmm... It's not the order of the parameters, but the quoting that might explain it !

What happens if you create an account with a name without space (try "guest" for example) and use the viewer from it ?

Just did a quick test on another user account (w/o a space) and SLVoice fires up just fine. Seems like the lack of quotes causes SLVoice to fall over on my main user account due to that space in the log directory.

2021-01-15 00:52:37
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next