Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-20 10:38:24

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Weird keyboard behaviour with 1.28.2.9 in FullScreen mode 

I jumped from 1.28.2.5 to 1.28.2.9, so I am not sure of the version that caused this change.

With all SL viewers, including Cool VL Viewer until 1.28.2.5, I can press Alt + LMB to turn around almost anything in world, then I can add the Ctrl key to zoom in and out if I need to.

With the last 1.28.2.9 of Cool VL Viewer, just using Alt doesn't work anymore in FullScreen mode. I have to press Ctrl+Alt+LMB, then release the Ctrl key if I don't want to zoom. Alt doesn't work anymore by itself otherwise.

I tried it with Fedora 33 and OpenSuse Leap 15.2 with the same result.

2021-02-19 18:45:13

First, please, post the required files and info to allow diagnosing your issue. See the rules for this forum.

Second, I cannot reproduce this bug here...

The change that could explain your issue is the move to SDL2 (from SDL1), but since I cannot reproduce it myself, it must be a weird issue between the latter and some keyboard shortcut in your desktop environment and/or window manager...

2021-02-19 19:46:36
Profile WWW

I also use Fedora 33 and the latest Cool VL Viewer. This continues to work as always for me, in fact I have been using it heavily this week while adjusting/building a few things. Do you mean 'real' full screen or maximized window?

2021-02-19 21:15:52

It works without trouble in window mode. I don't know of any "fake" full-screen mode with this viewer. I simply check the full-screen mode in the GFX preferences so i can use a lower resolution my old GFX card handles better. I would need to use a "post stamp sized" window otherwise. Everything works fine except this problem. I guess it is related to SDL2 since it worked with every versions I used until this particular one.

Concerning my desktop, I use MATE with both Fedora 33 and OpenSuse Leap 15.2.

I am not at home this weekend, so I don't have access to my usual computers, but I will send you the files you are asking for as soon as I can.

Is it still possible to download the CoolVL viewer 1.28.2.8 by the way ? I would be interested in using this version until there are potential fixes with SDL 2 which also causes issues that are not specific to Cool VL Viewer, like no resolution choices on certain GFX cards or screens...

Thank you for your responses anyway

2021-02-21 11:39:43

Arkem wrote:
It works without trouble in window mode. I don't know of any "fake" full-screen mode with this viewer. I simply check the full-screen mode in the GFX preferences so i can use a lower resolution my old GFX card handles better. I would need to use a "post stamp sized" window otherwise. Everything works fine except this problem. I guess it is related to SDL2 since it worked with every versions I used until this particular one.
I tested both windowed (my normal way to use the viewer) and real full screen (i.e. without window manager interaction) modes, with the same result: no issue.

Quote:
Concerning my desktop, I use MATE
I am also using MATE here (although in its last GTK2 incarnation, i.e. MATE v1.14, and with Sawfish as the window manager instead of Marco). But almost all MATE and Sawfish keyboard shortcuts (with the exception of media-related ones, for the keyboard media keys, and things such as task cycling, which I associated with a shortcuts using the "Windows" key) are disabled on my system... I still believe/feel like your issue stems from one such shortcut in MATE/Marco (and likely in MATE itself, since what changes in full screen mode, is the absence of interaction with the window manager, i.e. likely with Marco in your case)...

Quote:
with both Fedora 33 and OpenSuse Leap 15.2.
The distro itself is likely irrelevant...

Quote:
Is it still possible to download the CoolVL viewer 1.28.2.8 by the way ?
No, I do not keep old versions around: no room on web-server and hard disks for them (*). It is the user's responsibility to keep old versions around, just in case...

Quote:
I would be interested in using this version until there are potential fixes with SDL 2
You still can recompile the current release of the viewer on your system (just a matter of launching the ./build-linux.sh script from the sources) against SDL1 (edit the indra/cmake/00-BuildOptions.cmake to change the USE_SDL2 option to OFF, prior to launching the build script). See the doc/LinuxBuildHowto.txt in the sources for full instructions/help about building the viewer under Linux.

You may also enable the "Advanced" -> "User interface" -> "Debug" -> "Keys" option and watch the debug messages console (SHIFT CTRL 4) to see what are the differences between SDL1 and SDL2 key events...

(*) Keep in mind it has been over 13 years I have been publishing weekly viewer releases, about a third of the time two releases a week (a "stable" one and an "experimental" one), and for both Linux and Windows, with about 80Mb in average for every single binary file (i.e. around 160Mb to 320Mb per week during 13+ years, just for the viewer binaries: over 125Gb of data), plus the viewer sources ("only" 5Gb or so of data, which is half of my web-server quota), and the pre-built libraries binaries tarballs (they do not change every week, but still)... Mind you, my (ISP-based) web-server quota is not infinite (by far) and must be shared between several other websites of mine.

2021-02-21 12:16:10
Profile WWW

Quote:
No, I do not keep old versions around: no room on web-server and hard disks for them (*). It is the user's responsibility to keep old versions around, just in case...

I understand very well you can't store many versions of the viewer on your server. I asked for it just in case because the last version I got with SDL 1.2 is 1.28.2.5.

If you have no issue when deactivating most keyboard shortcuts, I agree it certainly mean the issue is from one of them. The shortcuts starting with Alt are extremely common sadly. I will either consider finding the ones that cause the problem or try recompiling with SDL 1.2 following your advices.

Thank you for your help

2021-02-21 17:29:38

I did my own build with SDL 1.2 following your advices and everything works fine now. I will stick with this starting from now as I can also benefit from machine specific optimizations this way.

Thank you for your work on this viewer which is my favourite for OpenSim by the way

2021-02-22 13:27:07

Another potential explanation would be the use of XWayland, instead of genuine X11. This would show in the logs, but since you did not provide them...

About SDL1, please note that, at some point in the future, support for it will be removed from the viewer. SDL1 is totally deprecated nowadays...

2021-02-24 09:24:37
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]