Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 16:03:17

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
1.28.2.28 - Random crash on opening the world map 

Hey Henri!

Just encountered a random crash when opening the world map (I'd been online for a while, had been using the world map just fine beforehand) - CV crashed to desktop without an error.

Not really a major thing, but hey, figured I'd report it anyway.

Put my log files on Google Drive, was too large for the forum - https://drive.google.com/file/d/15i469WnFNZ0JpWbixh6fgXkMxziSyBxK/view?usp=sharing

2021-06-21 19:49:30

Thanks for the report !

The crash is apparently due to a problem in a longjmp() call as a result of an error encountered inside libjpeg during an image decoding.

The results I got searching on the web for similar crashes with libjpeg hint for issues with such problems under Windows... Not sure this kind of crash (which will happen with all viewers) can be fixed at all, sadly.

I will try and figure out if there is a way to prevent such an error to happen in the first place (libjpeg complains about an empty image file: it should be possible to detect this occurrence before calling libjpeg)...

2021-06-21 22:45:30
Profile WWW

The empty image case is already dealt with in the code and should not happen... The fact that libjpeg reports it is probably due to a bug in the library. I updated to the latest jpeg library version for next releases, just in case...

The longjmp crash is very likely due to the fact that the original viewer code does not use a thread-local storage for the setjmp buffer, and since we now have multi-threaded image decoding instead of mono-threaded, the probability of seeing two different threads decoding a JPEG image at once (world map "Objects" tiles are JPEG images and not JPEG2000) is much higher (previously you would have to zoom out fully on the world map and attempt to upload a JPEG image while the tiles were loading to risk having such a crash happening). I fixed that for next releases.

2021-06-22 09:14:57
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]