Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 16:08:14

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
1.23.5.11 Linux crashes, mm boards/danceballs 

Hello.
Just tried the V1.23.5.11 on my 64 bit Ubuntu 8.10. The Alpha and Tattoo layers are great, i really love them, and I do also have all sound and voice functions that should be there (which is much better than in LL's V2 Beta where I cannot get sound to work at all),but: I get reproduceable crashes everytime I try to click on a MM board or a danceball, the viewer kind of freezes for some seconds, gets very transparent and then closes without showingany error message in the terminal.
Cheers
Jeannie

2010-03-16 09:00:14

I cannot reproduce the bug here... My guess is that it is related to some incompatible library on your 64bits system (the viewer is 32bits and needs for the 32bits compatibility libraries to be properly installed).

Note that I do not provide support for 64bits systems, not using one myself (I could, but it brings strictly nothing else but troubles over a 32bits system. My advice is to stick with 32bits like I do...).

2010-03-16 10:23:05
Profile WWW

I think Henri is right on this one. It's probably a library problem. I moved from Debian Stable 64 bit to Debian Unstable 64 bit and i have never had problems with clicking on anything with either release and have no problems now with 1.23.5.11. I do however have problems with audio (that started after the update) and haven't been able to get voice to work ever :) so i've got a couple of library problems to fix myself.

There were issues in the SL viewer with some ATI video drivers and mouse pointer changes, but that's not a Cool SL Viewer issue.

64 bit support for Second Life viewers is spotty at best. Good luck.

2010-03-17 16:38:40

there's all kind of stuff that can crash the viewer...

recently my wife crashes a lot, I don't. we're both running exactly the same versions of all installed libraries (zypper / rpm to the rescue), and the same binary of the viewer...

the only thing that i can think of is the fact that I have intel CPUs, her desktop has AMD... SSE optimizations???

2010-03-18 10:11:12
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
there's all kind of stuff that can crash the viewer...
I hardly ever crash with the Cool SL Viewer... Of course, I'm under Linux with a Nvidia card and its drivers (which are known to work best and stable with OpenGL applications)...

Quote:
recently my wife crashes a lot, I don't. we're both running exactly the same versions of all installed libraries (zypper / rpm to the rescue), and the same binary of the viewer...
Perhaps she hits the crash bug introduced in v1.23.5.10 and fixed in today's release (v1.23.5.12).

Quote:
the only thing that i can think of is the fact that I have intel CPUs, her desktop has AMD... SSE optimizations???
No, but the video card brand and its driver can make a HUGE difference in stability (and sometimes, the latest driver is not the best)... Also, overclocking the video card or having it badly cooled down may lead to crashes since the viewer is quite demanding on the GPU... Nividia users should be aware that a recent driver by Nvidia actually broke the fan control and made some GPUs to overheat (for Linux this is fixed in the beta driver 195.36.15 and the former stable driver v190.53 is OK too).

2010-03-18 13:44:27
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]