Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 03:26:42

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Non-Materials based shine strength in EEP 

Attachment:
old shader shine comparison.jpg
old shader shine comparison.jpg [ 39.92 KiB | Viewed 2108 times ]
Hi Henri,

I am noticing that in my environment, the shine on objects using legacy (non-materials) based shine seems way too strong. Normal materials based objects look fine though. Attached is a picture of objects with the three different sine settings (low, medium and high) taken in both the LL viewer and Cool VL Viewer (left and right respectively). Any thoughts on whats going on?

Thanks!
~Lycia

2022-01-07 23:23:55

Not really a bug, and yes, I did notice this difference already. It only affects the EEP rendering mode. Probably a backport I did at some point in time, from LL's various EEP viewer branches, and that did not make it in LL's own release viewer afterwards...

The problem here is to find what change caused this, and I'm short of time (and motivation) for such a minor glitch. If you can find which version of the Cool VL Viewer was rendering with the same intensity than LL's current official viewer (or in the WL rendering mode), then let me know, and I will revert the culprit change.

2022-01-07 23:39:09
Profile WWW

I was able to go though my old history of downloads and it looks like the first time this shows up is in release 1.28.2.46, so i am slow to pick up on these things. It looks like you fixed several graphics issues in that version, and at the same time the change in shine wiggled its way in. Hopefully you have time to look and its an easy to spot change.

Thanks!
~Lycia

2022-01-09 04:00:05

Ah, yes... I can indeed see the difference now.

In fact, there always has been a difference with how gamma is dealt with between the WL and the EE renderer (the latter rendering shiny prims slightly brighter, materials a bit darker, etc), but there is indeed a worsening of this effect with a bug introduced in v1.28.2.46 (I did not notice it so far because the existing difference only got a bit worse)...

To fix that render glitch, simply change line 422 of linden/indra/llinventory/llsettingssky.h to read:
Code:
   // Fast version to avoid calling slow getColor() and getFloat() many times
   LL_INLINE static LLColor3 getTotalDensityFast(const LLColor3& bd, F32 hd)
   {
      return bd + smear(hd);
   }
(i.e. the smear() was missing and the '+' became a '*'... My old eyes were probably very tired when I wrote that !).

Fixed for next release.

2022-01-09 18:20:01
Profile WWW

Thank you for taking the time to find that change an update it!

I totally respect the blurry eye problem... commas and decimal points are my sworn enemies these days.

Thanks again for the fix Henri!
~Lycia

2022-01-09 21:59:49
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]