Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 08:33:06

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
EE Sunrise/set cut out in water 

I didn't see anything specifically related to this in any other forum post. I recently noticed that the sun upon rising and setting and intersecting with 'distant water' creates an odd cut out in the water line. I am running with EE, ALM/shadows, avatar/object reflections and have draw distance set at 128m. Parcel is set to Region defaults and the Region defaults appear to be the stock Linden ones. This may also happen with the moon but I haven't had the opportunity to observe moon rise or sets yet. Happy to provide additional detail and conduct experiments, if useful.

Attachments:
File comment: Sunset snapshot
Sunset_small.jpg
Sunset_small.jpg [ 52.12 KiB | Viewed 482 times ]
2022-03-18 23:43:20

There indeed may be some clipping seen, in EE+ALM mode, in certain conditions (camera altitude, haze settings), however the worst I could get is this:
Attachment:
worst-case-scenario.jpg
worst-case-scenario.jpg [ 21.66 KiB | Viewed 477 times ]

This is under Linux and strangely the same viewer version but in its Windows flavour and ran under Wine seems less affected (barely visible clipping); so the importance (and visibility) of that glitch may depend on your graphics driver !

I cannot reproduce the glitch in LL's viewer, but the latter is "cheating" since it makes the Sun vanish into the haze at the horizon, meaning the Sun disc is never seen intersecting the horizon (and if you reduce the haze density to 0, the Sun vanishes entirely, which is of course a (much worst) bug !)...

I therefore infer that there is a slight difference in the shaders (probably coming from a fix for the haze that I backported from another viewer at some point). This is likely some parallax effect (Sun object is in front of the horizon ?). If anyone competent enough in 3D rendering and shader programming can detect the bogus code, I'm all ears !

2022-03-19 09:12:51
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]