Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-27 15:28:27

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Cool VL Viewer 1.30.2.38 crashes on quitting on Mac. 

I noticed this morning that Cool VL Viewer 1.30.2.38 was crashing on exit on my Mac. It doesn't affect my enjoyment, but I know I'm supposed to report all crashes, so here we are. It looks like the viewer itself is shutting down correctly, but OSX is failing to handle the shutdown correctly.

Attachments:
File comment: Crash report for Cool VL Viewer 1.30.2.38 2023-11-29
Cool VL Viewer Crash Report.zip [44.86 KiB]
Downloaded 41 times
2023-11-29 00:11:44

Many thanks for the report !

Sadly, there is nothing I can do here: the crash happens after exit(), meaning during the internal cleanup done by macOS: probably a bug in its pthread implementation, or perhaps in the compiler itself, where it would have badly ordered the destructors of the various classes (the crash happens just after the call to ~LLPipeline(), which is a default, empty destructor)...

Searching for "exit __cxa_finalize_ranges macos crash" on the web, I could find many similar issues... None of which lead to a "fix" for the affected program (since there is nothing to fix in the program itself).

Note that this kind of crash could just as well "solve by itself" in a future version, or with another compiler version (should the destructors call order change)... This would also explain why the crash happens in the last viewer release (which did not see any change in its shutdown procedure) and not in its predecessor. :(

2023-11-29 01:01:55
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]