Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 06:06:53

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Parcel media broken? 

Hi Henri, hello everyone,

seems that parcel media got broken at some point. Putting in a plain HTTP URL to an MP4 video file used to work just fine, but for some reason it no longer does. Instead of feeding it to gstreamer, it first tries using cURL on it, runs into an error and then launches the built-in browser code on it, but without a result.

Love,
Lia

Attachments:
201206092123.tar.bz2 [15.14 KiB]
Downloaded 120 times
2012-06-09 21:36:23

This is the well known and dreaded "frame load interrupted by policy change" (the media texture appears as a light pink one and shows this error on the top left). If you replace your URL with http://sldev.free.fr/ you will see that media works just fine for some sites... This might be due to a problem with QtWebKit (the browser toolkit used by the viewer). I'll see if I can manage to compile a newer version and if it cures this issue. There are also various other reasons for getting this error (just search for the error message on your favorite search engine), such as bad Flashplayer plugins.

2012-06-09 22:28:15
Profile WWW

Hi Henri et al.,

thank you for pointing me to that issue. I suppose just handing parcel media stuff off to QTWebKit is a fairly recent (as in: last three months) change, then, whereas before stuff recognized as multimedia was directly passed to gstreamer? Since I explicitely checked if parcel media was working with the very same destinations and setup after upgrading to Precise Pangolin, and everything was (eventually) fine.

Still trying to figure out if it's something I did that broke it or just the general changes that I may need to adapt my system to.

Love,
Lia

2012-06-10 08:39:06

Amalia Illios wrote:
Hi Henri et al.,

thank you for pointing me to that issue. I suppose just handing parcel media stuff off to QTWebKit is a fairly recent (as in: last three months) change, then, whereas before stuff recognized as multimedia was directly passed to gstreamer?
Not at all... This is governed by the app_settings/mime_types_*.xml file (there's one for each OS), which has not been modified in over one full year...

Note however, that the issue might as well be the result of a change on the web server side, since the advertized mime type for files depends on it and may be changed by the administrator for each file type; i.e. you could, for example, configure a web server to advertize *.rpm files as RealPlayer movies or as binary files (for RPM Linux packages, for example)... Depending on what the server advertizes, the browser (or here, the viewer), will dispatch the file to different plugins (in the *.rpm example, a browser would either invoke the RealPlayer plugin, or propose to the user to save the file as a binary one).

2012-06-10 14:42:58
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]