Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 11:05:32

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
VOICE BUG 

Every time a start sl, my talk button looks like voice is disabled, i can hear everyone but i`m not able to talk, the only way i can make it work is by going to the mic and headphone levels tab in the viewer. Its been like this for the last 3 or 4 versions of the viewer and i hoped you will notice it. Its not a PC thing because it dose the same on my lap with a fresh windows install.

here is the log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=99fyf12H

2012-05-27 15:26:31

TheADX wrote:
Every time a start sl, my talk button looks like voice is disabled, i can hear everyone but i`m not able to talk, the only way i can make it work is by going to the mic and headphone levels tab in the viewer. Its been like this for the last 3 or 4 versions of the viewer
Thing is that there has been no change whatsoever in the voice code in the last 10 releases (the last change in voice code occurred in v1.26.4.4), so I doubt very much it comes from the viewer... I can see an insane number of warnings in the log with "503" errors, meaning that at the time you had this session the SL servers were overloaded: it could be the reason for the failure to connect voice (when changing the sound levels, a reconnection is attempted, and since it succeeded at this point, it shows that the first connection simply failed). Another possibility would be a protocol breakage in the voice servers (new SLVoice version, perhaps): to eliminate the latter hypothesis you could try and log in with Snowglobe v1.4 and see if it shows the same signs ?

Quote:
and i hoped you will notice it.
I won't notice anything for I never use voice in SL...

2012-05-27 17:58:54
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
TheADX wrote:
Every time a start sl, my talk button looks like voice is disabled, i can hear everyone but i`m not able to talk, the only way i can make it work is by going to the mic and headphone levels tab in the viewer. Its been like this for the last 3 or 4 versions of the viewer
Thing is that there has been no change whatsoever in the voice code in the last 10 releases (the last change in voice code occurred in v1.26.4.4), so I doubt very much it comes from the viewer... I can see an insane number of warnings in the log with "503" errors, meaning that at the time you had this session the SL servers were overloaded: it could be the reason for the failure to connect voice (when changing the sound levels, a reconnection is attempted, and since it succeeded at this point, it shows that the first connection simply failed). Another possibility would be a protocol breakage in the voice servers (new SLVoice version, perhaps): to eliminate the latter hypothesis you could try and log in with Snowglobe v1.4 and see if it shows the same signs ?

Quote:
and i hoped you will notice it.
I won't notice anything for I never use voice in SL...

Just installed Pheonix now to compare SLvoice.exe last modified time. Have no idea if its the same version or not but here is what i found.
Friday, August 19, 2011 <- pheonix
Friday, August 20, 2010 <- COOL VL

and yes on pheonix it works. Did LL do something to the servers? It sux that i hear people but i need to reset it so i can talk.

is there another version of the SLvoice.exe that can be updated to? will that fix it?

/later update: so it seams that now the people can hear me even tho the talk buton isnt activated its like thete is no voice on the sim but if i use the midle mouse button i can talk... verry strange. I had a problem like this in the past but then the buton was like the mic is muted and i was still able to talk. There is a bug in there somewhere.

2012-05-27 18:53:08

TheADX wrote:
Just installed Pheonix now to compare SLvoice.exe last modified time. Have no idea if its the same version or not but here is what i found.
Friday, August 19, 2011 <- pheonix
Friday, August 20, 2010 <- COOL VL
Dates are irrelevant... They can be touched during the installation or the packaging (depending on how the packager and installer work). File length would be more relevant but only a 'diff' (byte per byte comparison of the two files) could tell for sure if the binaries are different or not.

Quote:
and yes on pheonix it works.
I asked you to check with Snowglobe because the Cool VL Viewer is based off it and uses the same SLVoice client and an only slightly modified voice client glue code, viewer side. Comparing with another viewer is pretty irrelevant...

Quote:
Did LL do something to the servers? It sux that i hear people but i need to reset it so i can talk.

is there another version of the SLvoice.exe that can be updated to? will that fix it?
No. The newer SLVoice clients would require changes to the viewer code to be successfully used with it. I'll perhaps port those changes in the future, but it's pretty low on my priority list (at least for as long as voice keeps working with the old SLVoice client).

Quote:
/later update: so it seams that now the people can hear me even tho the talk buton isnt activated its like thete is no voice on the sim but if i use the midle mouse button i can talk... verry strange. I had a problem like this in the past but then the buton was like the mic is muted and i was still able to talk. There is a bug in there somewhere.
Yes, its seems to be a race condition that occurs at login, between the voice client glue code and the voice code in the IM panel (which deals with the voice UI).

For now, I implemented a workaround (a small hack) to ensure the UI and the internal voice status are synced properly after login, but to find and fix the true bug (the race condition), I would need to know what Cool VL Viewer release broke it... Next time, please do report the bug as soon as you notice it (instead for waiting for me to notice it myself: I might not be using the broken feature, which is the case for voice), because it helps tremendously to spot what went wrong and where.

The workaround will be in v1.26.4.16. In the mean time, you can simply disable and reenable voice after login (in "Preferences" -> "Voice Chat", uncheck "Enable voice chat", press the "Apply" button, then check back "Enable voice chat" and close the panel with "OK") to get things synced right for the rest of the session.

2012-05-28 09:37:32
Profile WWW

Found another bug now in voice that is verry tricky to see when it happens... aparantly sometimes people can hear you even tho you have voice button inactive and the gren lines above your head are not there. From what i can see in a normal log when voice starts is like:

2012-07-01T13:22:50Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::buildLocalAudioUpdates: Setting speaker mute to false
2012-07-01T13:22:50Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::buildLocalAudioUpdates: Setting speaker volume to 62
2012-07-01T13:22:50Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::buildLocalAudioUpdates: Setting mic volume to 54

maybe muting the mic before seting volume will help.

Also i think its a thing of timing in the execution of the commands for voice because sometimes when it starts and connects to the sim its too loud and distorted so i guess the volume was at 100 for some reason. After you reset it its ok.

I also get a few of these: 2012-07-01T13:22:36Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::parcelChanged: not logged in yet, deferring

I know you personaly dont use it but some of us use is every day, and its kind of bad when you know you have your mic closed and someone IM`s you and tells you that you are live in local.

I`l put a log here form my curent sesion, but in this sesion only the "too loud" efect apeard on login to voice.

http://pastebin.com/fZa4c6Cu

Can you maby optimise the way voice loades and functions?

2012-07-01 13:43:37

TheADX wrote:
Found another bug now in voice that is verry tricky to see when it happens... aparantly sometimes people can hear you even tho you have voice button inactive and the gren lines above your head are not there. From what i can see in a normal log when voice starts is like:

2012-07-01T13:22:50Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::buildLocalAudioUpdates: Setting speaker mute to false
2012-07-01T13:22:50Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::buildLocalAudioUpdates: Setting speaker volume to 62
2012-07-01T13:22:50Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::buildLocalAudioUpdates: Setting mic volume to 54

maybe muting the mic before seting volume will help.

Also i think its a thing of timing in the execution of the commands for voice because sometimes when it starts and connects to the sim its too loud and distorted so i guess the volume was at 100 for some reason. After you reset it its ok.
I cannot reproduce this problem here. It might be an issue between the voice client and your sound card driver...

Quote:
I also get a few of these: 2012-07-01T13:22:36Z INFO: LLVoiceClient::parcelChanged: not logged in yet, deferring
Nothing abnormal at all here... Voice is an external service that can't connect simultaneously with parcel changes in SL: the viewer must therefore reconnect on each change (or login) and wait for a reply from the voice server.

Quote:
I know you personaly dont use it but some of us use is every day, and its kind of bad when you know you have your mic closed and someone IM`s you and tells you that you are live in local.

I`l put a log here form my curent sesion, but in this sesion only the "too loud" efect apeard on login to voice.

http://pastebin.com/fZa4c6Cu

Can you maby optimise the way voice loades and functions?
I'm afraid not. Voice in the Cool VL Viewer is working just as fine as it did in Snowglobe v1.5 and older viewers, but since I don't use voice at all and have strictly zero interest in it (in my view SL should never have "gained" voice: it's actually an ostracizing tool against non-English speakers and a real turn off for true role players), I'll not loose my time with developing for it. If you feel like the Cool VL Viewer voice support is not good enough for you, then please, feel free to use another viewer.

2012-07-01 15:45:45
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]