Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 09:29:59

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Fixing Flash in WebKit media plugin under Linux 

Hello Henri,

I know that technically this doesn't belong here, but I'll take my chance no less. :oops:

Seems that LL broke something in the WebKit media plugin at some point so that the Flash plugin no longer works properly (if that can be said at all about Flash anyway :lol: ) under Linux.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-29260

as well as

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-7464

hold some information regarding that.

Equipped with that information, I tried a few things -- lo and behold, with the libmedia_plugin_webkit.so from 3.3.0.251182 (and the needed libbreakpad_client.so.0), Cool VL Viewer 1.23.5.21 will do Flash content either in the built-in browser or in MOAP reasonably well :shock: , whereas with the one from 3.3.4.262321 or your 1.26... builds, it displays the erroneous behaviour outlined in the aforementioned links. :cry:

If you could have a look at it sometime, maybe you can see the change that was made and possibly roll it back or work around the breakage? Pretty please with sugar on it? ;)

(incidentally, nothing relevant ever makes it to the log)

Love,
Lia

2012-12-04 23:06:37

I'm afraid you will have to wait till LL fixes their qtwebkit pre-built library... While using an older library may work, it also causes other issues (including weird crashes due to different memory allocation routines between older and newer viewers) and is vulnerable to security holes.

As you rightfully said, Flash hardly works properly under Linux anyway (it was never properly maintained).

2012-12-04 23:53:10
Profile WWW

Hi again Henri,

thank you for sharing your expertise on the issue. That using the old libmedia_plugin_webkit.so has its own drawbacks is something which I did notice even while testing, so I'm not intending to seriously pursue that route.

If I find the time and right mood for it, I may do some more testing regarding other embedded video stuff, possibly using the totem-plugin, but it's not all that high on my list, so it's not too hard to be patient -- especially since "traditional" media sources work flawlessly. :)

Thank you once again for your excellent work and for bringing MOAP to the Cool VL Viewer, which makes it fun to share stuff on "the web" with others in-world.

Love,
Lia

2012-12-05 17:36:29
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]