Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 20:12:24

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
libcurl security vulnerability 

I just read about a security vulnerability in libcurl and although I'm not sure if this applies to the viewer, I thought I'd better mention it here just in case. With possible security vulnerabilities it's better safe than sorry...

http://blog.volema.com/curl-rce.html#.URTG72dsItU

2013-02-08 16:42:43

It doesn't affect the viewer, because the latter only uses Curl for HTTP, not for SMTP, FTP, etc...

2013-02-08 19:42:49
Profile WWW

The article describes a scenario where a malicious webserver could return a relocation to a POP3 server. Like this:
Quote:
HTTP/1.0 302 Found

My understanding of the article is that that relocation would automatically be handled within libcurl...

Also from the article:
Quote:
Mitigation
We recommend to disable protocols other than HTTP(S) in your application using options CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS and CURLOPT_REDIR_PROTOCOLS. libcurl version should be updated.

If the viewer is already using these options, then no need to worry. :)

2013-02-08 21:02:09

Since libcurl is only used to access HTTP servers ran by LL (or the grid owner, for OpenSim grids), it is unlikely (possible on a hacked OpenSim grid, I suppose) that you will encounter such an exploit with the viewer... At worst, the exploit would make the viewer crash (since there is a crash handler in the viewer, there is no risk that such a crash could be exploited to gain access or run a virus, for example, not to mention that the latter would require to target a specific viewer build...).

I'd rather not rush into a "fix" to a highly hypothetical security hole, fix that would risk breaking everything else... So don't expect a fix for tomorrow's releases.

2013-02-08 21:30:31
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]