Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 20:25:31

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Problems with Avatar texture rendering/loading 

Is anyone else having a problem with avatar textures (and sometimes textures in general) failing to download/rez or taking a long time? In general I get object textures, but avatar textures is another story. Especially with several avatars around. However I can be with one person, they will rez properly, go blurry, then rez again repeatedly. Caming around to a different view of the Avatar will usually get them to be load fully again. This is with 1.26.4 legacy renderer but I have been seeing it for a few weeks now (perhaps almost a month). I have http fetching off, including the http settings under advance/network, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have also tried other viewers such as LL's V3 which also give the same problem (with http fetch on or off), therefore I am assuming it is a asset server issue perhaps having to do with "project sunshine" (aka server side baking)?

I generally run with HTTP off as I tend to get a lot of packet loss with it on (it seems to flood out my connection as http doesn't adhere to the bandwidth setting in viewers).

In summary I will get avatar textures to rez, usually, but it is SLOOOOW (grey avatars for quite a while). Might take 30 minutes or more for 10 avatars to fully rez. I never had this much trouble, even back in 2005! Everything else seems fine, and bandwidth is fine (not maxed out as I checked my router). And I am not seeing much of any packet loss (perhaps when I first teleport but nothing out of the ordinary). Also once I get them to rez they may go blurry then I have to cam in and out a few times to get them to rez fully again. The same thing happens on different machines with different video cards (Nvidia and ATI) and different OS (win Vista and 7).

2013-06-14 17:07:10

This is usually the sign of too high a memory usage (the viewer then throttles the textures memory usage by using lower LODs, which in turn can cause "LOD cycling" (blurry/clear) textures). Try reducing the amount of "texture RAM", and make sure your OS is configured to allow up to 3Gb of address space for 32bits apps (32bits Windows XP/Vista/7 need to be tweaked to allow that: search the FAQ and general help forum about it to find the directions).

2013-06-14 20:29:21
Profile WWW

Hmm very strange as it didn't use to and I am not doing anything different than say a month ago. The system I am using now has 512mb video RAM and the SL limit is set to 256 (in viewer hardware options). Also the memory bar/indicator isn't any different than it was before.

I will check into the tweeks you mentioned with regard to 3gb address space. I think I did them some time ago, but I will double check. And thank you.

2013-06-15 14:43:29

Ok I have found the problem and fixed it....if I turn off (remove the X) advanced/character/allow server-side baking avatars download without issues. So this will fix it until LL makes server side baking mandatory. :/

2013-06-21 17:01:27

DBDigital Epsilon wrote:
Ok I have found the problem and fixed it....if I turn off (remove the X) advanced/character/allow server-side baking avatars download without issues. So this will fix it until LL makes server side baking mandatory. :/
This has no action whatsoever since SSB is not yet enabled on SL... Placebo effect, probably...

2013-06-21 18:51:46
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]