Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-20 00:41:54

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
New file selector for the Cool VL Viewer 

Hi Henri, i've not posted here before so first i want to say, i so appreciate the work you do and providing cool vl to us. I love it and it's the only viewer i use. But please, would you do some more work on this file dialog thing? Perhaps let it accept a paste, clipboard, copy/paste for destination.

I would very much appreciate it.

loves and hugs,
dd

2015-01-12 01:26:49

HI, I was just wondering if there was any way in the file uploads that we can get a previewer before we hit ok? as a big time builder and always uploading stuff I need quick access to what i'm looking for and alot of times my stuff is just named with numbers (to lazy to name stuff most of the time) but my 3d Artword and Pictures is 80 gigs worth and it takes forever to find something with the way the viewer upoads right now that i can't use it for building. I would rather use Cool viewer since it is alot nicer to my machine then most out there. Also can you add on the build window the unhighlight like firestorm has? Other then that iit's a great viewer! keep up the good work.

Thanks
Lila Hydraconis
Virtual Highway Grid

2015-02-19 03:02:05

Hello.
Is there a way to use default OS file picker for uploading textures and other stuff?
Quick searching the forum didn't help me.

Thanks.

2015-11-26 21:31:16

WebGearbox wrote:
Is there a way to use default OS file picker for uploading textures and other stuff?
Quick searching the forum didn't help me.

Topic merged with the existing topic (searching for "file picker" would have laid you to it immediately...).

And the answer is no. See the reasons why I removed the OS file selector and replaced it with an XUI based one in my first post in this thread.

2015-11-26 22:22:45
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
the answer is no

That is sad. Even tho there might be bugs caused by OS default one your one is, unfortunately, just opposite to user-friendly. It lacks many features: i can't just type the address to files (e.g. i can't type ~/projects/sl/chain/texture.tga and upload the file, neither do i get the hints about filename - i can't just type "te" and select "texture.tga" from dropdown like in windows). There is no "bookmarks" or "places" like in OS default file picker etc.There are no previews or anything...

I believe such things should be optional (there should be the checkbox or something saying "YES i understand all the risks and am willing it to be useful rarther than super-stable").

So the only option for me, as I understand, is diving into sources and making my own build of CoolVL?

2015-11-27 16:11:25

WebGearbox wrote:
Even tho there might be bugs caused by OS default one
Bugs causing crashes are simply unacceptable. So the OS file selectors are a no-no for me. Period.

Quote:
your one is, unfortunately, just opposite to user-friendly. It lacks many features: i can't just type the address to files (e.g. i can't type ~/projects/sl/chain/texture.tga and upload the file, neither do i get the hints about filename - i can't just type "te" and select "texture.tga" from dropdown like in windows). There is no "bookmarks" or "places" like in OS default file picker etc.There are no previews or anything...
Yes, how shocking, it's just a plain file selector... Sue me ! Or get to the work and add those features to it yourself (nothing prevents anyone from doing it: the sources are GPL and well documented, and also, unlike LL's implementation, very lean and clean).

Quote:
I believe such things should be optional (there should be the checkbox or something saying "YES i understand all the risks and am willing it to be useful rarther than super-stable").
The only option for me was to get fully rid of the OS-specific dependencies (GTK for Linux, Carbon/Cocoa for Macs, infections/DLL-injections-sensitive Windows file selector). So, no, it's not possible to make it optional.

Quote:
So the only option for me, as I understand, is diving into sources and making my own build of CoolVL?
Yes.

2015-11-27 21:48:41
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4