Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 17:46:34

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Linux Version Going Forward ? 

Now that LL has announced that they will no longer develop/support Linux in their viewer, will Cool VL Viewer continue to be compiled for Linux ?

2015-05-03 01:40:40

Lord wrote:
Now that LL has announced that they will no longer develop/support Linux in their viewer,
Where did you see any such official announce ???
It would be pretty ironic (and in fact right out revolting) that LL, who mostly developed SL using GNU/Linux tools (including the viewer itself, thus why building it under Windows requires the cygwin tools installed) and who is using heavily Linux and Open Source software on their servers, thus sparing themselves the expense of hundreds of thousands of dollars in what would otherwise require the buying of many proprietary software licenses, would all of a sudden stop redeeming the GNU/Linux community by dropping all support...

For now, all I heard about was that they had difficulties to implement a newer media plugin system using CEF (Chrome Embedded Framework) in their Linux viewer (probably by lack of a knowledgeable Linux developer in their team, because CEF was actually primarily developed under Linux !) and a call for help to the Open Source developers (a call which I cannot reply myself, since they refuse the contributions from Open Source developers who didn't sign their fucking, privacy violating, contribution agreement... Not to mention they so far didn't publish any of their CEF-specific work/sources...).

But you can count on me for making a lot of ruckus if they ever try and drop Linux support for good...

Quote:
will Cool VL Viewer continue to be compiled for Linux ?
I made the Cool VL Viewer for myself in the first place, and I am exclusively using Linux myself... The Cool VL Viewer is primarily a Linux viewer. Draw your own conclusion...

2015-05-03 09:36:08
Profile WWW

Inara gives some links about this: https://modemworld.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... evelopers/

and Nalates, here: http://blog.nalates.net/2015/04/25/seco ... ux-viewer/

and discussion on SLU, here: http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/genera ... linux.html

2015-05-03 18:52:06

I see nothing official here... Just some gossip and speculations in an informal meeting and on blogs/forums. Also, please refer to my reply above about the call for help (I'd like to, but LL won't accept my help anyway... too bad for *them*).

2015-05-03 21:18:55
Profile WWW

And as a followup, see this message I just posted onto the opensource-dev mailing list. As you will see, Linux development will not be dead for as long as I will stay alive ! :lol:

2015-07-09 15:35:37
Profile WWW

Here we go again, Henri....according to the latest TPV meeting with OZ Linden, SLvoice support for Linux will be discontinued. Oz's recommendation was to install Windows SLvoice and instruct the Linux user to use WINE to make it work. He also warned not to use older versions of SLvoice(Vivox) due to security exploits in it. Do you have a better solution ?

https://modemworld.me/2016/07/16/sl-pro ... d-meeting/

http://blog.nalates.net/2016/07/16/seco ... -2016-w28/

2016-07-17 06:22:08

Lord wrote:
Here we go again, Henri....according to the latest TPV meeting with OZ Linden, SLvoice support for Linux will be discontinued. Oz's recommendation was to install Windows SLvoice and instruct the Linux user to use WINE to make it work. He also warned not to use older versions of SLvoice(Vivox) due to security exploits in it. Do you have a better solution ?

Shame on LL, shame on Oz (since this guy arrived at the lab, the Open Source support, especially Linux one but also, Mac one, went downhill: he must have a secret contract with Micro$hit; so far for "minorities" support in the US...) !

What can I say ?... Unlike CEF3, the SLVoice client is a closed source program, and I have no way to recompile it for Linux.

The Cool VL Viewer has so far been using the Snowglobe voice client binary (and apparently, without compatibility issues till now, despite the many voice updates over years); I was in the process of updating the voice support to use a newer SLVoice binary (so to be ready for the 64 bits move): at least, I now know that it's not even worth it !

Since I have never used voice myself (short of quick test sessions), that's not a feature that I will miss the least. I'll probably simply remove Voice support from my viewer and be done with that ugly anti-role-play (what a great way to break the ambiance in a fantasy role-playing environment that to mix RL elements (your voice) with SL fantasy !), ostracizing "feature" (ostracizing because only people able to speak and understand spoken English in real time can, in practice, use it).

2016-07-17 07:49:18
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]