Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 11:18:54

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Debug setting RenderDynamicLOD. 

I have some mesh items that "crumple" rather badly even at close viewing range. I have found that, but changing the debug setting RenderDynamicLOD from the default of TRUE to FALSE, this crumpling goes away. My initial testing seems to suggest that doing this does not have a noticeable effect on my frame-rate, but am I walking into a minefield here?

2015-10-24 01:18:19

Not all mesh items are designed equal... Some do not provide proper LOD levels, which causes them to get switched to lower rendering LODs at the bad distance compared to their scale.

This is alas not something that can be solved at the viewer level, but only by the mesh designer, who needs to learn creating proper mesh and stop using a TPV with LOD levels boosted above the reasonable: any designer should use, at the most, the max LOD factor (RenderVolumeLODFactor) allowed by LL's viewer, which is 2.0; the Cool VL Viewer allows up to 3.0, but some TPVs go beyond what is reasonable (which can also cause issues at close distance) and allow up to 4.0 or 5.0...
If the mesh doesn't look good with a LOD factor of 2.0, then it will not look good to 95% of the SLers !

I don't recommend at all disabling dynamic LOD because it affects all objects (including avatars, trees, etc), causes a large increase of the memory consumption and it negatively impacts the frame rate (you may not notice in a skybox, but things will dramatically change in a crowded sim !). Instead, and only as a workaround, try adjusting RenderVolumeLODFactor (but never go beyond 3.0, or you'll get problems at close distance with 'crumpling' or disappearing small objects !). If this fails, complain to the mesh designer and point them to this message.

2015-10-24 09:17:03
Profile WWW

Thank you for the advice, Henri. I've turned the setting back to the default.

2015-10-24 23:35:00
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]