Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 13:24:43

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Observations on the texture tab and materials 

Hi everyone,

I've been working a bit with materials lately, and thus made a few observations regarding the texture tab of the edit dialog. The way things are now, it is a really, really frustrating process to apply materials to any reasonably large build.

* Normal and Specular maps offset and rotation entry fields do not allow for negative values, unlike the Diffuse map. So copying the values can't be easily done.

* "Align faces" won't work for Normal or Specular maps.

* There is no easy way to align the parameters of the Normal and Specular map with the Diffuse map, even though typically they should be identical in most cases.

How do you people typically work around these issues? I suppose it could be done with scripts, but ... meh. Not really a friendly workflow.

Henri, do you see any chance these things could be ameliorated with reasonable effort by changes to the texture tab? Maybe add a button that syncs the parameters of the Specular and Normal map with the Diffuse map? Something like that would really really speed up things a lot.

Or maybe I am missing something really obvious and my concepts are way off. In that case, a pointer to how I should be doing it would be very much appreciated.

Love,
Lia

2016-07-24 09:10:15

The algorithm (such as forbidding negative values) is imposed by LL's servers limitations. Viewer developers can't work around these, sorry...

2016-07-24 12:30:21
Profile WWW

Hello again,

thank you for that insight, Henri. So LL essentially messed that up completely by allowing it for Diffuse but not for Normal and Specular? That's really in(s)ane and doesn't make sense whatsoever. :roll:

I suppose the only possible way would then be to normalize the Diffuse parameters and then copy the results. I can see that being too much work. I guess I'll have to go the script route then. :(

Love,
Lia

2016-07-25 16:02:49
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]