Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 06:34:14

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Thanks for this Viewer. 

Hello everyone, and above all to Henri Beauchamp.

I wanted to come here to thank all the work done on this viwer which allows me to be on SL with my old PC, that unfortunately I can not change yet.

Indeed, even if my PC is 64 bit, my Nvidia card is so old that the drivers do not want to run in 64 bit :( And only Cool VL Viewer allows me to compile a 32 bit operational version. And that with a fantastic facility. Just run "buildlinux.sh" and wait for the viewer to be ready :)

So thank you, thank you and again thank you :)

Regards Emmanuel

2017-08-11 09:53:19
Profile WWW

Helijah wrote:
Indeed, even if my PC is 64 bit, my Nvidia card is so old that the drivers do not want to run in 64 bit
That's very strange... All NVIDIA drivers are provided for both 32 and 64 bits and unless your card is over 10 years old (GeForce 5 or older !), the drivers keep being updated by NVIDIA to stay compatible with modern kernels and Xorg versions... Simply make sure to download and install the proprietary drivers (they also got the immense advantages over Open Source ones to be way faster and full featured).

2017-08-11 12:28:48
Profile WWW

Hi Henri,

I absolutely agree with you. But the fact is that on my PC I have Mageia 6 32 and Mageia 6 64. The 32 works perfectly and the 64 gives me a black screen then the PC restarts :( Or worse it crashes completely.

I continue to try regularly, I even get the latest drivers on the site of Nvidia (but in fact the Mageia is up to date and nothing is change.

Processor : 2 x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Mémory : 4 Go
Kernel : 4.9.40
Nvidia : GeForce 8800 GTS 512/PCIe/SS2/3DNOW!
Driver : 340.102 OpenGL 3.3.0

The good news, being nevertheless that the latest version of Cool VL Viewer always compiles perfectly in 32 bit and works perfectly :) (1.26.20.30)

Regards Emmanuel

2017-08-13 02:23:47
Profile WWW

Helijah wrote:
But the fact is that on my PC I have Mageia 6 32 and Mageia 6 64. The 32 works perfectly and the 64 gives me a black screen then the PC restarts :( Or worse it crashes completely.
Is Mageia using clang instead of gcc (IIRC, that's something I read about somewhere on the web, but I may be mistaking Mageia for another Mandrake/Mandriva fork) ?

That could be the explanation (there could be some ABI-level incompatibility with NVIDIA's pre-compiled "blob")...

In any case, I'd also recommend that you report your problem on NVIDIA's support forum and provide them with a full bug report (running nvidia-bug-report.sh and posting the resulting log): NVIDIA's Linux support is great; I got them to fix all the bugs I found over years, unlike ATI which never ever replied to any of my bug reports and which drops support for their cards after only a few years (3-4 years only !).

You could also report the bug to Mageia's folks (it is abnormal that their distro is the only one to show such a compatibility show-stopper)...

If all this fails, I'd recommend you give a try at PCLinuxOS (a rolling-release 64 bits distribution which is also a fork of Mandriva).

2017-08-13 09:02:59
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]