Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 14:00:23

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
running coolviewer on freebsd 

hi, i see that this viewer is 1.x-ish? would it be possible to run it on freebsd?

it may be the only viewer that is even remotely close to being portable to freebsd, has anyone tried it?

2020-02-25 09:29:31

See this message in the opensource-dev mailing list archive.

It won't be an easy task, but might be doable.

2020-02-25 10:21:01
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
See this message in the opensource-dev mailing list archive.

It won't be an easy task, but might be doable.

I see. What about running the Linux variant of cool viewer under freebsd's linux emulation layer? it is fairly capable, I have observed some running steam for linux under it as well as various linux native games.

Since what cool viewer is based on is ancient it might be easy

2020-02-25 11:06:16

radwind88 wrote:
I see. What about running the Linux variant of cool viewer under freebsd's linux emulation layer?
I'm not familiar with FreeBSD, and much less with its emulation layer...

Quote:
it is fairly capable, I have observed some running steam for linux under it as well as various linux native games.
If they are X11 OpenGL games, I see no reason why the viewer won't run at least as good as they do.

Quote:
Don't be fooled: the Cool VL Viewer runs modern viewer code. The UI was simply kept the same as in v1 days (but even the UI code got modernized), I fought bloat to keep it fast, and I optimized and cleaned up the viewer code too. But the said code is in no way "ancient" (it's in fact much more recent than other TPVs' or even LL's official viewer; for example, it uses boost fibers instead of boost coroutines, which are only in use in LL's viewer-vs2017 code for now (i.e. a project viewer), and even then, I'm using boost v1.70 when LL uses v1.69...).

No, the advantages of the Cool VL Viewer for a port to another OS reside in smaller (and cleaner) code (half the sources size compared to Firestorm) and a stand-alone build system...

2020-02-25 12:12:09
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
radwind88 wrote:
I see. What about running the Linux variant of cool viewer under freebsd's linux emulation layer?
I'm not familiar with FreeBSD, and much less with its emulation layer...

Quote:
it is fairly capable, I have observed some running steam for linux under it as well as various linux native games.
If they are X11 OpenGL games, I see no reason why the viewer won't run at least as good as they do.

Quote:
Don't be fooled: the Cool VL Viewer runs modern viewer code. The UI was simply kept the same as in v1 days (but even the UI code got modernized), I fought bloat to keep it fast, and I optimized and cleaned up the viewer code too. But the said code is in no way "ancient" (it's in fact much more recent than other TPVs' or even LL's official viewer; for example, it uses boost fibers instead of boost coroutines, which are only in use in LL's viewer-vs2017 code for now (i.e. a project viewer), and even then, I'm using boost v1.70 when LL uses v1.69...).

No, the advantages of the Cool VL Viewer for a port to another OS reside in smaller (and cleaner) code (half the sources size compared to Firestorm) and a stand-alone build system...

I apologize for the misunderstanding, I meant no disrespect.

I got the viewer partially running under freebsd's linux emulation layer, but I cannot seem to get audio to work. I will keep tampering with it

2020-02-26 08:27:35

radwind88 wrote:
I got the viewer partially running under freebsd's linux emulation layer, but I cannot seem to get audio to work.
You will likely need to disable FMOD and use OpenAL instead: see the viewer "Advanced" -> "Media" sub-menu.

2020-02-26 09:24:36
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]