Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 08:08:34

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Colour Profile 

The screenshots I take from the viewer looks a bit more washed out than from what I see in world. This isn't a cool viewer specific problem, but I'm wondering if there is any way to change the viewers colour profile, so it matches that of the computer?

2021-03-29 09:25:13

If you are using a colour profile with your monitor (never used neither needed one myself: as long as you got a good monitor, you should not need any), then the rendering will go through your graphics driver colour filters before being displayed, but the profile won't be saved together with the snapshot (the viewers do not use any colour profiles and do not even know anything about them).

It is likely (since it is taken from a frame buffer) that the screen shot colours are corrected by the colour profile filter, meaning this profile would get applied a second time to the image when displaying it on the same computer with an image viewing program (which output will also go through the graphics driver colour profile, and since no profile was saved into the screen shot image file, the latter will be treated as a plain uncorrected RGB format)...

However I'm not familiar with colour profiles and I'm not seeing any solution to this issue... short of not using a colour profile ! :P

2021-03-29 13:20:22
Profile WWW

Just to add on to this, HDR also causes this effect under Windows. No idea exactly why (unless HDR is processed in the 10-bit color space, and screenshots assume that it is 8-bit)

2021-03-29 17:49:04

Thank you both, I'll try and play around with the different things and see what can be done, if anything :D

2021-03-30 13:56:43
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]