Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 07:46:29

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Some positive thank you to Henri :) 

I just wanted to say thanks for the latest updates to the mini map (agent parcel border, texture refresh, physical object markers) as they are really useful.
They are a great help for us that are moving around on the grid (sailing, flying, driving etc.), and I know users usually only complains, so here's some positive feelings shared :D
(But I guess hoping for parcel borders as well some time in the future is too much to hope for?)

And as a related side note, the recent changes to the viewer in general (new cache, image threadpool, and group snooze) have made the viewer even faster and in my opinion better, so once again thanks for the work you put in the development Henri.

2021-04-11 11:49:11

Jessica Hultcrantz wrote:
I just wanted to say thanks for the latest updates to the mini map (agent parcel border, texture refresh, physical object markers) as they are really useful.
Thanks for your thanks... :lol:

Quote:
They are a great help for us that are moving around on the grid (sailing, flying, driving etc.),
The idea behind these new features (including the animesh plots that got implemented a few months ago already) is to bring something more with the mini-map (otherwise pretty useless, since it pretty much duplicated Radar and World map features). I almost never made any use of the mini-map in the past: now I do use it...

Quote:
But I guess hoping for parcel borders as well some time in the future is too much to hope for?
I did consider them, but ultimately found them moot and redundant: you can get much better (more precise/visible/useful) results with just the existing "View" -> "Property lines" (CTRL ALT SHIFT P shortcut) feature (also bear in mind that every new "feature" bloats the code and slows it down, even with careful and well thought out optimizations).
On the mini-map, parcel borders would just clutter its (small) display area without any added benefit. One useful (especially for sailing, flying or driving) feature would be to just display "protected" land and water ways, but it is made difficult given the various possible "owners" of those land parcels... Plus, even "protected" parcels can bear flags that are incompatible with objects riding (e.g. "no object entry" flag), so you'd need to also take those flags into account, and all this info is obtained asynchronously by the viewer, meaning it won't be accurate/reliable for several (sometimes dozens of) seconds...

2021-04-11 12:08:21
Profile WWW

I'm one of those that keeps the minimap constantly open, because it gives me a quick overview over the area around me.
And it also works as a compass to get directions and bearings sorted out easily.

I love to sail in SL and spend time on the seas and channels, and the minimap gives me feedback on crowded regions (which can be laggy or otherwise troublesome, especially if you sail in a group with others) and a sense for land/water and objects covering these (something grey in a water channel is never a good sign :lol: ). The latest addition of the physical objects also makes it easy to identify lost boats and alike. Really valuable on today's seas! :D

It is true most of the information can be found in the usual map and the radar, but the minimap itself is silent and gives a visual feedback that is a good summary of what is around.

What would be good (for me, and other sailors/aviators as well of course) with parcel borders is that it would help identify paths through regions, like you also mention (and yes ultimately it would be fun if it marked out the protected path, but that is never going to happen in a 100% certain way the way SL is constructed, we have to rely on some human brain processing there).
It is true it would never show the real status of the parcel in question (and I would certainly not trust the parcel data for an overlay anyway, too slow indeed) but even in a small size the outline on the minimap would be helpful as a pointer, and it is frequently mentioned in different groups that if the viewer have these then they are better turned on as a help.

I'm not saying it is a must or even a request, but perhaps if it isn't a too big chunk of bloating coding you could give it another thought at some convenient time.
Ultimately your decision, and I understand your hesitation about it. But the map is resizeable, has three zoom levels and it could add some usefulness to it for us on the move.
And if I was to implement it I would sure make it a toggle like the other features in the minimap so it can be turned off to unclutter (possibly default for that matter, come to think about uncluttering/cluttering).

OK my L$0.02 of blabbering and thoughts.
And to recap, I'm a very happy user of your viewer. Especially with the latest additions ^^

2021-04-12 17:17:31
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]