Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 07:35:44

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Experimental viewer v1.29.0 feedback thread 

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Please, try reproducing this in LL's performance viewer. I very much doubt it would be caused by anything in my backport, so it should be present as well in LL's viewer; if it is, please report the bug to LL (referencing their own viewer, not mine), on the JIRA.

EDIT: and I just tried with SSAO on or off (including after a viewer restart with it on), and still cannot reproduce your issue...
I have tried with the performance viewer (Second Life Release 6.6.0.570163 (64bit)) running under Wine. RenderDeferredSSAO is on by default and I did not see the issue. Water looks normal. That is also sort of what I expected since it doesn't have the GL worker threads improvement like Cool VL Viewer does and I don't see it there with RenderDeferredSSAO off. It could be some sort of race condition that only shows up with my particular set up. Others may not experience it.

2022-04-16 16:57:49

ZaneZimer wrote:
That is also sort of what I expected since it doesn't have the GL worker threads improvement like Cool VL Viewer does
Well, just configure the Cool VL Viewer to use only one GL thread and one image decode thread (i.e. the equivalent of LL's viewer), and see whether it makes a difference or not...

2022-04-16 17:03:52
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Well, just configure the Cool VL Viewer to use only one GL thread and one image decode thread (i.e. the equivalent of LL's viewer), and see whether it makes a difference or not...
Hmm..strange. With GLWorkerThreads set to 1 (instead of -1) and NumImageDecodeThreads set to 1 (instead of 0), I still see the problem. I somewhat expected it to go away.

If I turn off GLWorkerThreads (revert back to 0) and leave NumImageDecodeThreads at 1, the water is normal. The same is true if I revert NumImageDecodeThreads back to auto/0. With all testing leaving RenderDeferredSSAO on and restarting between configuration changes.

2022-04-16 17:14:46

I'm afraid you will have to make with this glitch, since I do not see how I could "fix" it (if anything can be fixed at all)...

2022-04-16 17:46:45
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
I'm afraid you will have to make with this glitch, since I do not see how I could "fix" it (if anything can be fixed at all)...
Yes, I understand that to be the case as I'm on the only one with the issue at the moment. I can turn SSAO off or toggle it (I do like the richer shadows with it on).

2022-04-16 17:50:33

A bit more info that I have discovered in case anyone else stumbles upon this issue. I found that it probably is not directly related to SSAO. Toggling or updating certain debug settings, even to their existing value, will cause the water to rerender properly. The easiest one from the UI is Depth of field (Advanced->Rendering->Deferred rendering). Toggling that on and off does the trick, at least for me. Also using the Debug settings dialog and looking for RenderDeferredDisplayGamma or RenderDeferredNoise and selecting Reset to default works, even if the value doesn't change.

2022-04-16 20:44:06

ZaneZimer wrote:
A bit more info that I have discovered in case anyone else stumbles upon this issue. I found that it probably is not directly related to SSAO. Toggling or updating certain debug settings, even to their existing value, will cause the water to rerender properly. The easiest one from the UI is Depth of field (Advanced->Rendering->Deferred rendering). Toggling that on and off does the trick, at least for me. Also using the Debug settings dialog and looking for RenderDeferredDisplayGamma or RenderDeferredNoise and selecting Reset to default works, even if the value doesn't change.

And what happens if you simply reset the vertex buffers ?...

2022-04-16 21:28:39
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
And what happens if you simply reset the vertex buffers ?...
No effect. I tried that earlier. I can't see any texture or object in view, update or change.

2022-04-16 21:51:31

It seems with the 1.29.0.3 release, I no longer experience 'black water' upon login. The few times I have logged in today, I had normal looking water (with no settings toggle) every time. I suspect the GLOD improvements or threading improvements might be the reason.

2022-04-23 15:49:11

ZaneZimer wrote:
I suspect the GLOD improvements or threading improvements might be the reason.
GLOD got no relation whatsoever with this (it is only used by the mesh upload floater). I do not see either how the changes I brought to the GL image worker could have improved things (they are mostly related to video mode changes and shutdown procedures)... On the other hand, it was likely a race condition that occurred in specific conditions, and simple timing changes (due to code changes/optimizations) could prevent it to happen...

2022-04-23 17:04:24
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next