Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-27 14:44:20

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
WARNING: fake (hacked) Cool VL Viewer 

I have been made aware that someone is currently advertising via IM spams a viewer which is obviously a hacked version of the Cool VL Viewer, claiming "unlimited free Linden Dollars" (which is, of course, total bullshit: even via hacking, you cannot get this to happen with any viewer).

I do not know who is this person, but their illegal activity got reported to LL.

I advise anyone using my viewer (or any other viewer), to only download its binaries and/or sources from its official site, never via third parties, neither from any person providing any "fork" or "patched version".

Downloading software from unofficial sources puts your account and privacy under a grave danger (such a viewer will likely steal your credentials, and/or cause your L$ to be stolen, and/or implant some bundled malware into your system).

I will take no responsibility and will provide no support whatsoever for actions perpetuated (voluntarily or not) via Cool VL Viewer binaries not published on my site (I do provide hashes for them: do verify them when in doubt), neither for any consequence of such actions.

Here is a link to the screen shot that was brought to my attention.

2023-11-02 13:44:58
Profile WWW

This picture looks over ten years old. It's a Gnome 2 desktop with the faenza icons, who became famous because they were square instead of the usual round. Gnome 3 was released in 2011 and all distributions were quick to change. The picture is not clear enough to see the version of the viewer, but it's ancient at any rate. This should be proof enough.

2023-11-03 09:46:37

g0rd0ngrfr33mailgr wrote:
This picture looks over ten years old.
It nonetheless was linking to a binary (probably a malware). The site has since been taken down.

2023-11-03 09:52:33
Profile WWW

Apparently, and from the last info I got, the distributed binary was not even a viewer but a fake installer that ran several malware implanting scripts and then complained, via an alert box, about an incompatible graphics driver as an excuse for not launching an actual viewer...

Someone even analyzed this scam.

2023-11-04 13:38:44
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]