Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 23:38:45

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
lawsuit... wtf? 

Hey folks,

I just got this notecard in-world...

"Hello.

You are reading this because you were listed in a lawsuit by Belial Foulsbane and Scarlett Vielle.
Somehow you are a victim of his False DMCA claims, and his ongoing effort to manipulate LL into killing off his competition for the "Emerald Speed Rez".

If you would like to join the defendants against this paperwork-greifer in a counter lawsuit please contact me with your SL name and anything else at primeinx@gmail.com

Do not be scared
1) Scarlett Vielle claimed that they automaticly had a protected copyright from the moment they made anything.
(The US copyright office is not aware of every creation in SL, does not issue free copyrights, and does not issue anything without a proper filing)

2) There is no copyright registered in the united states:
http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre ... PAGE=First

3) Linden Labs cannot be sued. Yet he filed against them.

4) The judges signature on his legal papers he faxed to LL is blank.

5) He cannot copyright the word "Emerald" for the same reason he cannot copyright the word "SecondLife" or "Microsoft".

He is a paperwork bully filing false DMCA claims as you know.

If you have any ideas to stop this madman, do please share them.
Lets create a group and fight him off shall we?

zFire"

...are those guys out of their fucking skulls?

2010-04-14 08:35:02
Profile YIM WWW

This is bullshit. This guy obviously doesn't have a clue of what is the code used in the Cool VL Viewer...

He apparently made a gesture which works only with the Emerald viewer and is selling it (!!!) on XStreet. Apparently, this gesture uses the Emerald command line feature to increase the draw distance progressively and he called that "Speed Rezzer".

On my side, shortly after I implemented the "DrawDistanceInCameraControls" patch, and seeing how lowering the draw distance manually after TP and increasing it progressively (still manually) afterward could significantly speed up the rezzing in the viewer, I decided to create the "SpeedRez" patch, which basically did the same, but automatically.

This patch is in no way a gesture neither does it use any of the "code" (that makes me laugh to call a gesture a "code") of this guy's product, neither any code from Emerald.

A couple of weeks later, as I was still testing this patch and did not yet release it, you, Lance posted this message in this forum, and I replied to you in it that I already had the patch ready. At the time being, I was not even aware about this guy's gesture (since I don't use Emerald, I even thought it was a feature of Emerald itself).

In any case, the SpeedRez patch is in no way a violation of any law, especially not in France, where software patents are illegal...

Just let this guy spend his money stupidly in a law suite, and don't worry about it: he will be dismissed by the court(s).

2010-04-14 09:31:12
Profile WWW

I'm pretty sure that he'd loose any suit even in the US, since the DMCA is about _copyrighted_ material, but not about _general ideas_, but I'm also pretty sure that LL is not going to actually _investigate_ the matter... the g-team is known for not exactly spending mental powers over anything. "shoot first, ask never".

remember the guy who got his account permabanned because he filed DMCA against a copybotter?

2010-04-14 09:33:26
Profile YIM WWW

possibly related, emerald is going to kill that guy's "tool" in their next release:
http://modularsystems.sl/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=emerald-do-not-buy-any-speed-rezzer-or-similar-gestures.html&Itemid=1

they claim that "speedrezzing" increases lag for the user and everybody else in the sim, because nearer objects actually get rezzed several times, on each draw distance step, thus overloading the asset servers.

... i guess if you set your cache size to zero...

2010-04-14 13:35:15
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
they claim that "speedrezzing" increases lag for the user and everybody else in the sim, because nearer objects actually get rezzed several times, on each draw distance step, thus overloading the asset servers.
This is a false (or more exactly inexact/incomplete/partial) claim. This would only be true when decreasing the draw distance and then increasing it again in the same place, but the Cool VL Viewer only decreases the draw distance before far TPs, so when you rez in the new sim, the draw distance only increases and objects are rezzed only once, starting with the closest ones.

Now, this guy's gesture might indeed have this effect if people trigger it several seconds after they TPed in a sim, since some far objects would then have had time to rez and would get derezzed by the descrease of the draw distance, which is the first step in the gesture.

2010-04-14 14:59:48
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]