Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 17:08:07

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Discussion about the Cool VL Viewer roadmap 

yay. display names are officially released now.
... ok, not yay.

anyways, what's the timeframe for a backport?

2010-11-18 07:50:01
Profile YIM WWW

As always, I have no set time frame, since the time I dedicate to the viewer development depends on my RL work load as well as my other free time hobbies and activities.

For now, I didn't yet start working on display names (I simply had a look to the corresponding diff for viewer 2), but it should not prove too difficult to backport. I might start working on it this week-end, which could eventually lead to a first releasable version sometime in the two coming weeks, again, depending on RL constraints.

2010-11-18 14:50:32
Profile WWW

Good news: the display names backport was easy (6 hours worth of coding/compiling/debugging/testing), and I just released the Cool VL Viewer v1.25.0.14 with display name support. See this thread for details.

Note however that since the display names code requires a recent version of the Boost library and since the one used to compile the Windows version of viewer v1.23.5 doesn't have the necessary functions (and replacing it with the version provided for SG v1.5 doesn't work either: I'd need to recompile Boost under Windows to make things work... No such problem in Linux !), I took the decision that it was time for me to drop support for v1.23.5 (it was planed anyway; see the roadmap).

As a result, the only supported branch, starting with today's release, is v1.25.0 (v1.23.5 will be retired together with v1.19.2 by the end of this year).

The persons still using v1.23.5 should upgrade now to v1.25.0 (which is faster and now just as stable anyway).

2010-11-20 20:13:16
Profile WWW

henri, you are awesome.

2010-11-21 13:01:56
Profile YIM WWW

<3 Comment - As much as I wanna poke LL in the butt for the new display name thing system of confusion, I'm really happy that you've already included that in the functions of the viewer, and amazed at how fast you did it.
More <3 - The ability to get links off of group notices is AWESOME. I was also hoping you'd include the align tool, and here you already did!! <3 Henri.

:?: Will there ever be "Alpha" and "Tattoo" options added to the remove clothing pie menu, and onto the drop down Edit menu?

EDIT - Thank you for adding those, Henri! <3

2010-11-28 20:24:35

In light of it now being 3 months later since the last post on this thread, have you decided on whether Cool VL 1.25.x will continue to have a shelf life and for how long? Have you begun work on a Cool VL 2.x Viewer yet and if so, how soon might we see the first rendition of it? Eagerly awaiting your views on this subject, -Lord

2011-02-03 02:46:37

Argh, what I meant was that it had been 3 months since your last post about the actual roadmap, not, features being backported since then.

2011-02-03 02:52:29

For now, I did not yet decide which route I will take, but I do know which route I would prefer, and it would be staying with the Snowglobe v1.5 code base and keeping up the backporting work so to get the Cool VL Viewer code closer and closer to v2 over time, with the notable exception of anything UI-related.

The reasons are mainly that:
  • The work necessary to bring the v2 UI back to an even remotely acceptable level of usability is HUGE.
  • The work necessary to make v2 OpenSim-compatible is quite significant.

On the other hand, some forthcoming v2 features may simply involve too much code change to be backported to the SG v1.5 code base in a reasonable amount of time. Then, and only then, I would have no other choice than to switch to the v2 code base (yet still probably maintaining the Cool VL Viewer v1.25, at least till I could make v2 fully OpenSim-compatible), but by then I hope that other TPV teams will have already done some good work on the v2 UI, work that I could reuse (remember that being alone to develop the Cool VL Viewer, and even while I'm a rather proficient programmer, I can't really dedicate as much manpower as Imprudence or Phoenix teams, for example).

For now, the most complex forthcoming feature is Mesh support... I did not yet try to backport it, since LL did not yet set a date for its implementation on the main grid (also what will happen in Q1 2011 is already known and doesn't involve anything Mesh-related), but from the (quick) look I had at the code, Mesh support might well be portable to SG 1.5 with less work than what would involve reworking the v2 UI... If I can manage to do this backport, then I see no issue to keep the SG v1.5 code base for at least one more full year.

2011-02-03 09:39:41
Profile WWW

Waiting on 'Mesh' to be implemented. When might we be able to get that done? It seems the Phoenix/Firestorm team and the SLV 2.x team are trying to tell everyone that it can only work in a 2.x viewer. I, for one, would like to think otherwise. I have noticed that RealXtend has produced a homebrew viewer that can see and import mesh for OpenSim( http://realxtend.wordpress.com/ ) and Tundra platforms. Is there a timeline now that LL has published theirs and supposedly has the code available?

2011-06-21 07:36:20

Lord wrote:
Waiting on 'Mesh' to be implemented. When might we be able to get that done? It seems the Phoenix/Firestorm team and the SLV 2.x team are trying to tell everyone that it can only work in a 2.x viewer. I, for one, would like to think otherwise.
Pretending that Mesh can only work in v2 is stupid and a lie. It is true however that Mesh is not a trivial feature to backport, since it touches many different parts of the viewer code, parts that need to be updated to match the v2 code base. This is exactly what I started to do with the Cool VL Viewer v1.26.0, porting more and more v2 code that will be required for Mesh support. Please, see the latest roadmap update about it.

Quote:
I have noticed that RealXtend has produced a homebrew viewer that can see and import mesh for OpenSim( http://realxtend.wordpress.com/ ) and Tundra platforms.
RealXtend implemented mesh support for years already. This said, their implementation if completely different from LL's and can hardly be reused in the Cool VL Viewer. Plus, I'd rather use LL's code since it means it will be easier to maintain it in the future and to update it as Mesh implements more features over time (which is likely to happen). There are also licensing issues that would probably preclude reusing RealXtend's implementation anyway...

Quote:
Is there a timeline now that LL has published theirs and supposedly has the code available?
I started actually working on Mesh (v1.16.1 viewer branch opened) last week. It will however take time before I can backport everything and produce a viewer that is stable enough for an experimental release. Since I'm working exclusively on (part of) my free time and that this free time is extremely variable (and depending on my RL job), I cannot provide you with an ETA. However, my aim is to have at least the v1.26.1 experimental branch released before Mesh goes into production on the main grid (which will probably not occur before August or September).

2011-06-21 09:34:36
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next