Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 16:40:49

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
CoolVLViewer 1.24 and "old map" 

... do i understand it correctly when I believe that the CV 1.24 reverts to the old map downloads protocol ONLY when it is connected to any grid that is NOT the official SL main grid?

2010-07-22 12:04:34
Profile YIM WWW

No, for now it's a full reversal to the "old" (v1.23) map. The reasons are that Snowglobe's new map:
  • is 100% incompatible with OpenSim grids;
  • doesn't provide terrain-only maps.
  • doesn't properly display the land for sales icons (thus making it impossible for you to choose a terrain for sale from the map !!!). This is a still unfixed bug (also present in the v2 viewer).

However, I will, in a future version, use the S3-hosted HTTP textures when connected to SL grids (only the "level 1" (i.e. one sim per texture) textures will however be used, which means the map will be slightly slower to load than Snowglobe's at low zoom levels).

2010-07-22 16:19:27
Profile WWW

food for thought:
  • a "UseS3Map" debug setting, that gets ignored on any grid except main grid (switchable in "cool features")
  • that new map base url cap from sims (see sldev mailinglist)

2010-07-29 08:31:53
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
    food for thought:
  • a "UseS3Map" debug setting, that gets ignored on any grid except main grid (switchable in "cool features")
Useless: the viewer is able to determine whether it is connected to SL or not and will automatically switch to the corresponding method for world map.

Quote:
AFAIK, neither SL nor OpenSim implement such a capability, and OpenSim grids do not provide either web-based maps, so it's pretty moot to implement it for now...

2010-07-29 09:51:10
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:
    food for thought:
Useless: the viewer is able to determine whether it is connected to SL or not and will automatically switch to the corresponding method for world map.

So at some point CV will be using the S3 map on main grid again? What If someone prefers the old map on main grid?

Quote:
AFAIK, neither SL nor OpenSim implement such a capability, and OpenSim grids do not provide either web-based maps, so it's pretty moot to implement it for now...[/quote]

I think someone on #opensl mentioned that that cap has been implemented now... not sure tho. And there has been talk about some osgrids implementing a http-based map because that cap is out...

2010-07-29 13:58:17
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
So at some point CV will be using the S3 map on main grid again? What If someone prefers the old map on main grid?
No. It means that when logged in SL, the map will retrieve the tiles (level 1 only, i.e. one sim per texture) from the web server, instead of retrieving the textures from the asset server. The world map itself will be unchanged and still allow the terrain-only maps (but with slower, asset server textures), or at least for as long as LL creates them (there have been talks in the past about deprecation of the asset map textures, but with the fiasco of viewer 2 and how LL is now forced to keep v1.23 around...).

Quote:
I think someone on #opensl mentioned that that cap has been implemented now... not sure tho. And there has been talk about some osgrids implementing a http-based map because that cap is out...
So far, and AFAIK, no OpenSim grid is using that capability neither provides web-based maps, so again, I'll not loose my time on this for now.

2010-07-29 18:20:00
Profile WWW

Today's Cool VL Viewer v1.25.0.0 uses the web map tiles while logged on a SL grid, or a possible (future) compatible OpenSim grid. This feature can be disabled by a debug setting in the Advanced Menu ("Use Web Map Tiles"). You will probably not notice much speed up on map tiles loading delays from network, unless the asset server is overloaded (the web map tiles being then much faster to retreive), but you will definitely notice a speed up in their decoding time, since the web map tiles are JPEG files instead of JPEG2000 files for the map textures stored in the asset server. It is easy to compare, by selecting alternatively the Objects and Terrain map layers (the latter only existing as asset server map textures).

2010-08-08 16:22:22
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]