Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-23 08:33:50

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The ESC Key. (Or Éch key, as it may be) 

Can we have ESC be 'Reset View' like it used to be? For some reason since updating the last couple times it's been Shift-ESC, which is really cumbersome to hit compared to just plain old ESC. I camera pan out all the time, looking around when I'm shopping and such and when I want to focus back on my immediate surroundings I can't just 'tap tap' the ESC key anymore to reset camera. I like ESC drops focus on anything.. window open? Hit ESC and goes translucent. Focus is on your typing input field? Hit ESC and your focus is back in the main window. Camera panned out halfway across the sim? Hit ESC and you're looking straight ahead of you again.

Just my L$0.02, but having to hit Shift-ESC is annoying as all heck. :(

Govern.

2010-08-23 07:07:31

ESC got the utterly annoying effect to close all focused floaters (and especially the chat input bar) before it finally accepts to reset the camera view. This is why SHIFT ESC is used by the Cool VL Viewer to reset the camera view and/or the mouse-look mode (without closing the chat bar). This way you can choose between closing the focused floater (with ESC) or resetting the camera view (with just one hit on SHIFT ESC). I hardly see how it could be "cumbersome" and it will not be changed.

2010-08-23 07:35:10
Profile WWW

Could you point me in the direction of the right .xml or.ini file where I can edit this? I found a keys.ini file but that didn't seem to be anywhere in it. I understand your frustration, I think. but as much as the Esc key's original functionality frustrating you, the new extra key stroke for to reset camera view frustrates me. I mean no disrespect to your work, but I really would like to know how to go about customizing it back to the way I prefer it. I'm no computer programmer, but I am a computer technician so I should be able to get it working if you point out where the modification is. I just hope it's not hard coded.. O.o

2010-08-23 12:42:21

This cannot be customized. If you are not happy with it, your only choice is to recompile the viewer yourself, removing the corresponding patch.

2010-08-23 13:27:41
Profile WWW

Maybe someday we'll have the ability to customize keys... one can always hope. :(

2010-08-23 13:41:55

I, for one, love the new interface. I often have my camera someplace and hated having to reset my view just to close the chat line. It's taking a long time to get used to the change, and frustrating for now, but that's sure not Henri's fault!

2010-08-23 20:29:57

Hello Henri,
I've been on SL since 2006. I used Nicholaz browsers for quite awhile then switched to yours via Hyang's mac build when i switched to mac about a year ago.
I have kept up with your fourm with every new update but never signed up for an account until today so I could comment on the ESC key.
i have always used the ESC key to rest my camera view. I must say, changing from hitting ESC to SHIFT+ESC is VERY annoying!.. 5 years of habit is hard to break. I was kind of offended by your comment: "I hardly see how it could be "cumbersome" and it will not be changed." I, like GOVERN, mean no disrespect, and totally love your work, but I dont understand when you say: "This cannot be customized. If you are not happy with it, your only choice is to recompile the viewer yourself, removing the corresponding patch."
I know you are busy, and reply's are short and brisk, but a little more explanation would be appreciated. I TOTALLY thank you for all your hard work.

2010-08-27 17:30:51

Well, i hoped you cpould change it, but its hard programmed the shift-esc.
The shift-esc is also a reason to stop useing the best viewer i have seen now.
And i only use it 2 days now. the combination is not lopgic and the keys are
to far apart from each other to press it quick. And you need it dozens of times.

2012-01-22 15:49:26

Like Coyote, I've been in SL since 2006, and I've had to learn a lot of new things over the years. I've just come back to Cool after a long time away using other viewers, and doing Shift-Esc instead of Esc is just a matter of learning a new habit. If you've only given it TWO DAYS before complaining, I don't think you've give it a fair chance. I press Shift with my left thumb and Esc with my left middle finger. Easy!

2012-01-22 22:44:23

Same here: Old-timer in SL, since 2007 maybe, and the Shift+Esc convention did need some getting used to. But now I'm completely happy with it. I was used to Esc doing both, but now I'm thinking about it, I can't see what closing floaters has to do with resetting my camera. So I guess it would be getting back to another viewer that doesn't use Shift+Esc that would feel cumbersome now…
Just my €0,02… :)

2012-01-23 14:38:02
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next