Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 07:05:02

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Multiple attachment points (was: Double attachment points) 

I know we can access the secondary attachment points by changing the avatar_lad.xml file but that does not add them to the menu, copying over the emerald avatar_lad.xml file did add the bridge attachment point to the attach to dropdown menu.
Is it posible to add the other attachment points to the menu as wel?

2010-08-25 18:49:06

Do *not* overwrite the avatar-lad.xml file !!! The Cool VL Viewer's one is special (an hybrid between v1.23 and v2.0 official viewers) and contains data for Alpha and Tattoo wearables support. Overwriting this file will lead to crashes !

If you really want to activate the secondary (and illegal !) attachment points, set the AllowIllegalAttachPoints setting to TRUE. But it is *highly* incompatible a "feature" (actually a ugly hack by some other TPVs). Please, see this post.

You'd better wait for me to backport the multiple attachments per point from viewer 2...

2010-08-25 21:50:02
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
You'd better wait for me to backport the multiple attachments per point from viewer 2...

I drool on my keyboard every time you mention the multiple attachments per point. I don't want to rush you (okay, yes i do, but i won't, really :), but do you have any idea when you expect to have that working?

Thanks, and keep up the great work! Your dedication is very appreciated.

2010-08-28 02:25:51

Ibrew Meads wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:

I drool on my keyboard every time you mention the multiple attachments per point. I don't want to rush you (okay, yes i do, but i won't, really :), but do you have any idea when you expect to have that working?

Thanks, and keep up the great work! Your dedication is very appreciated.

Ok, I'll cave and do a totally off-topic me too! post on that. Henri's viewer was the first one that gave me some stability on my old 'puter shortly after I started out in SL, and adds to my enjoyment to this day. So yes, your excellent work is greatly appreciated indeed, Henri!

On topic: Uhm ... mostly more drooling :lol: ... and I would suspect others are, too. Uhm. Interested in some sort of rough estimate, that is. :oops:

2010-08-30 18:04:47

I have no set schedule. It depends entirely on the free time I can allocate to the viewer development.

2010-08-30 18:17:38
Profile WWW

As you bring Cool VL in line with LL's new expanded attachment points will Cool VL still be compatible with properly viewing the legacy emerald attachment points? I guess I call it legacy because the emerald project finally died, thankfully. :P

2010-09-03 21:48:49

The IllegalAttachmentPoints patch I made for the Cool VL Viewer so that it can display properly Emerald's hacked attachments will stay around for some time after I will have implemented the official multiple attachments support, but it will eventually go away (I bet Emerald or its successor will simply use my Multiple attachments backport patch like they already did for many others... Let's just hope they will give proper credit, this time...).

2010-09-04 15:44:02
Profile WWW

Good news: in just under 8 hours of work (including multiple compilations), I got a working and proper backport of the multiple attachment points for both v1.23.5 and 1.25.0 (Snowglobe v1.5). I'm currently testing it, and will work tomorrow on adapting RestrainedLove to it.

Expect a release in the coming week. ;-)

2010-09-16 18:31:22
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Good news: in just under 8 hours of work (including multiple compilations), I got a working and proper backport of the multiple attachment points for both v1.23.5 and 1.25.0 (Snowglobe v1.5). I'm currently testing it, and will work tomorrow on adapting RestrainedLove to it.

Expect a release in the coming week. ;-)

:o ... :) ... :D

Did someone ever tell you you're awesome? I knew I should have landmarked your tip jar!

Best wishes,

Lia

2010-09-18 04:44:09

OK, Multiple Attachments implementation done and verified. I decided to provide it to you all early in the hope that any glitch could be reported soon (but so far, I found no showstopper, thus why I'm confident releasing it now).

First, let me say that there is one known issue: multiple attachments do not stay attached after a relog (only one attachment per point will stay after relog). I searched a lot for what could be wrong, but so far found nothing in the code that could explain this... I will have to see with newer branches of viewer 2, since this backport is based on Snowglobe v2.1 (pre-Snowstorm) and the early v2 viewers were known to have such issues as well... EDIT (2010/09/25): issue solved (see the newest posts in this thread).

Now, let's see how multiple attachments work in the Cool VL Viewer:
  • There is a new "Add" item in the context menu for objects in the inventory (i.e., when right-clicking on a not yet attached object in the inventory, you get a "Add" item below the "Wear" one in the context menu). Choosing "Add" attaches the object on your avatar (on the object default attachment point as defined with the last "Attach to" action), without kicking any already worn attachment
  • Still in the context menu for objects, "Wear", or a double-click action both work as they did in the past, attaching the object and detaching any (and all the) other(s) object(s) that was(were) occupying the same attachment point.
  • Yet again in the context menu for objects, "Attach to" and "Attach to HUD" attach the object to whatever point you choose, without kicking any already attached object on that point.
  • In the context menu for inventory folders, "Replace outfit" works as before, first kicking anything your avatar is wearing, then attaching (and wearing) everything in the folder. There is however a novelty: when you got two (or more) objects in the folder that would attach to the same point, they are all attached together (instead of kicking each other till the last rezzed object stays attached).
  • Still in the context menu for inventory folders, "Add to outfit" adds any attachment in the folder without kicking any already worn attachment.
  • Yet again in the context menu for inventory folders, "Wear items" adds any attachment in the folder and does kick any attachment worn on a point where the new attachments go. (NEW in v1.23.5.30 and v1.25.0.7)
  • Dragging and dropping an object from the inventory onto your avatar, attaches this object without kicking any already worn attachment (acts like "Add").
  • Right-clicking on an in-world object you own, and using the "Attach >" feature of the pie menu, attaches the object to your avatar on whatever point you choose, without kicking any already attached object on that point. Same thing for any of your non-attached objects that you are editing while rezzed in-world, and then using the "Edit" -> "Attach Object >" menu onto.
  • Choosing "Edit" -> "Detach Object >" and then an attachment point name detaches all the objects on this attachment point (even if only one object is listed in the menu, for obvious space reasons).
  • When making a new outfit from the Appearance floater, and when selecting an attachment point to copy items from for the new outfit, all the attached items on this point are copied into (or linked to, depending on their permission) the new outfit folder.
  • The total number of simultaneously worn attachments (both on avatar and HUD) is limited to 38.
  • Multiple attachments cause issues for OpenSim grids not supporting them (see this thread for details). For this reason, and starting with the Cool VL Viewer v1.25.0.15, the feature is disabled by default for OpenSim grids. To enable it, use the new OSAllowMultipleAttachments debug variable and set it to TRUE. (NEW in v1.25.0.15)

CAVEAT: Only people using viewer 2 or the Cool VL Viewer v1.23.5.29 or v1.25.0.6 or later (and probably soon to come versions of other TPVs) will be able to see your worn multiple attachments properly rezzed on your avatar !... Others will see one of your attachments for each attachment point (without any predictable way to say who will see which attachment for each point)... This is alas an unavoidable drawback of this v2 viewer feature (which is not backward compatible with old viewers). However, as long as you are using only one attachment per point, your avatar will look just fine to everybody. Let's just hope that this backport I just did and provide as a standalone patch ready to apply to either v1.23.5 or Snowglobe v1.5 sources will soon be adopted by the major TPVs (and I hope, with due credits to me... which has not always been the case in the past for some TPVs, with Alpha and Tattoo support, for example...)

2010-09-18 17:46:14
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next