Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 16:32:01

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Skins for Cool VL Viewer 1.25.0.something or a built-in ... 

I was wondering if anyone was making skins for Cool VL Viewer 1.25.0.something ?

Actually, while I am wishing...would it be possible to put in a viewer color picker...not a skin..but the ability to color the floater backgrounds one color, the controls another, the headers and toolbar backgrounds a color while the buttons can be made a different color...I actually like the layout of Cool VL...just would be interested in spicing it up with different colors...hehehe

2010-09-01 00:16:52

I'm afraid I have no time to spend on skinning...

However, you may perfectly use different skins with just a quick hack:

1. Go to the skins/ directory of the Cool VL Viewer installation.
  2. Rename the "silver" folder as "silver-old".
  3. Copy any skin from any v1.2x of Snowglobe v1 based TPV into the skins/ folder (for example "dark" from Emerald).
  4. Rename the imported skin folder ("dark" in our example) into "silver".
  5. Start the viewer, open the Preferences panel, Skins tab and choose "Silver" (the preview is of course not the right one, but this is unimportant).
  6. Quit the viewer and restart it.
  7. Done. Enjoy your new skin.

Note however, that only skins without a xui/ sub-folder will work properly (since this sub-folder contains modified versions of the floaters from the default/xui skin, and some of these floaters would need to be modified to work properly with the Cool VL Viewer: see the xml files in the silver/xui/en-us/ folder).

2010-09-04 21:57:04
Profile WWW

Ah, thank you for the info Henri, the following link will take the user to the Second Life Wiki, which has several 1.20 skins listed and available for download: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Skins

If anyone knows of some more places to get 1.20 skins please let me/us know! Thanks !

2010-09-08 17:07:50

In follow-up to my earlier posting on this topic, I have found that the only easily attainable skin from the 1.20 group of skins is the Dark skin by JB Kraft. Unfortunately, the version of this skin designed for the UI that Cool VL 1.25.0.x uses does not allow for the Adult category in Search and gives a frustrating question message to choose a Category in Search. If someone has a workaround or a patch that would allow the skins from something like Ascent (with modification patch to take into account the different button arrangement between the two ?) to be used please let us know. Thank you !

2010-10-20 09:07:53

Lord wrote:
In follow-up to my earlier posting on this topic, I have found that the only easily attainable skin from the 1.20 group of skins is the Dark skin by JB Kraft. Unfortunately, the version of this skin designed for the UI that Cool VL 1.25.0.x uses does not allow for the Adult category in Search and gives a frustrating question message to choose a Category in Search.
Like I explained in my last message above, only the skins without an xui/ folder will work out of the box. Others do need their xui/en-us/ files to be modified before they may at all work with the Cool VL Viewer (note that failing to modify the corresponding files may also lead to crashes..). You may try and delete the xui/ folder in the new skin and see how it fares (normally, it would only impact a few icons in a few floaters: the default skin icon would then get displayed).

Quote:
If someone has a workaround or a patch that would allow the skins from something like Ascent (with modification patch to take into account the different button arrangement between the two ?) to be used please let us know. Thank you !
For the directory search floater, you can find the diff for the silver skin in the ReinstateOldSearchTabs patch.

2010-10-20 13:21:22
Profile WWW

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I used your hack to install the Metaharper Blue theme from my Phoenix's installation. I just copied the MetaHarper_blue directory from ~/.secondlife/skins to the skins folder inside Cool's directory, renamed the original silver to silver.orig and then made a symbolic link from MetaHarper_blue to silver and then chose silver from the menu.

2011-09-28 18:29:20
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]