Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 07:28:33

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Legacy Mac Versions? 

Hyang has announced that he will no longer support PPC Mac versions. I completely understand his reasons and needs, and thank him for all the work he's done to date.

Unfortunately, that still leaves me in the position of being unable to afford to replace my laptop, an AlBook, and looking for a version of *any* SL viewer that I will be able to use once the enforcement of version2 becomes a reality.

Is there anyone who will be creating/porting something that will work on PPC? Either based on Cool - my preference, obviously -- or something else?

(No, I don't check the blogs frequently; I just tonight saw that 1.23.5 is the last version for PPC. Saying 'get a new computer' is not a useful answer; it's simply not feasible for me to do so.)

Thank you, whoever you may be, for all helpful answers.

2011-02-09 02:49:27

Hmm... That's perhaps a silly suggestion but, why don't you try to compile the viewer yourself ?... The sources are there, the "recipe" (howto) is on the SL Wiki (and in the cmake-SL script for the Cool VL Viewer), so it's just a matter of "getting your hands dirty"... :P

2011-02-09 10:27:51
Profile WWW

> why don't you try to compile the viewer yourself?

Mostly because I didn't know that it *would* compile. My understanding is that there are architecture-specific things that cause it to not-work across architectures. Otherwise, I would expect the Linux version to work on OSX of all flavors, since it's all just unix 'under the hood'.

That said, I'm a high-end-user (many years doing support work) and not a programmer, and haven't actually compiled a program since college classes, and don't know how. :)

I will, however, look at the wiki. Thank you for the pointer.

And wish me luck :D

2011-02-09 22:23:53

I'm not knowledgeable about anything Mac related, but from what I understood, Hyang stopped building PPC Mac versions simply because she didn't have such old Macs handy. I don't think it's impossible to do, at least up and including Snowglobe v1 based viewers (might be another story with v2). The only potential issue would be with the possible lack of pre-compiled libraries as provided by LL (not sure if they are PPC + x86 or just x86 ones).

Better asking Hyang Zhao about it.

2011-02-09 22:37:47
Profile WWW

just hopping in to say that I don't need any mac-specific patches when I'm building dolphinviewer 1.5 which is snowglobe based...

2011-02-10 06:56:59
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]