Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 18:18:54

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Gossips, rumours and assumptions (Mesh, v1 vs v2, etc) 

ArchangelMortenwold wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Again, there is NO WAY for Linden Lab to prevent "v1" viewers to connect, especially since so-called "v1" viewers are no more v1 under the hood (for example, the Cool VL Viewer supports HTTP texture fetching, web map tiles, new search engine, web profiles, etc...). Should Linden Lab turn off legacy services in the future, the Cool VL Viewer would still be able to connect and would run just fine !

This said, I doubt *very much* LL would turn off such services any time soon when a third of their regular user base is still using v1.23 or SG v1.4... LL does a lot of stupid things, but I don't think they are suicidal.

So, do NOT listen to the FUD that some people are spreading just because they don't want to admit they are incompetent (most of these people don't even know how to code properly, if at all) or that they made a mistake adopting the v2 UI for their own viewer.

Alright, I just wanted to confirm that Jessica Lyon and her team are deliberately lying to people. Thanks for the info.

hi henri i have a request, i know that you speak french, and my english is so so, actually rumors about the french community (thanks jessica...) becomes crazy , each time i send your forum link to try to explain people that please....don't believe everything just BECAUSE it comes from GOD PHOENIX...the problem is that they don't read english ...could you make a "litteral" translation for this ?, if i do it by myself ....it won't be perfect une traduction doit être litterale sinon c'est une trahison ^. and i would love to send also a note card translated with the two texts... can be made by you no modif of course, as it you will be sure that it will be YOUR and not another gossip distorted
thanks by advance
Nomade Zhao
or to translate this just in this forum, as you prefer of course will be ok too

2012-01-12 14:42:39
Profile WWW

From Sun, 22 Jan 2012:
Quote:
And it's sounding lately like LL is starting to take a less aggressive stance towards V1 than what we were initially told nearly a year ago. By the sounds of it, LL has no immediate plans now to break v1 by turning off server side functionality. This of course is nothing more than the impression we are getting, there has been no official statement either way.

/me rolls his eyes.

2012-02-04 13:57:26

Someone just posted a YAR (Yet Another Rumor) in a popular SL group stating that, come January 2013, a lot of v1.x viewers would cease to function correctly. Has anyone heard anything like this?

2012-12-19 05:39:25

Old viewers (LL's v1.23.5 and older, Snowglobe v1 but also v2, old v2/3 viewers and actually, all current v3 viewers) will cease functioning properly (they will be unable to "bake" avatar textures and avatars will stay grey) after LL will turn off the legacy baking service on their grid, sometime next year. While the new baking service is anticipated to come into production sometime in February (if all its bugs have been fixed by this time), the old baking service will coexist with it for some time (probably at least a couple of months, perhaps more), meaning even old viewers will keep working for a little while.

Ultimately, however, all maintained viewers will migrate to the new baking system, and the Cool VL Viewer will be part of them. No worry.

2012-12-19 09:29:53
Profile WWW

How will that effect OpenSim Henri? Will the old baking system still be part of Cool VL Viewer?

2012-12-19 12:24:03

Jeeper wrote:
How will that effect OpenSim Henri? Will the old baking system still be part of Cool VL Viewer?
The Cool VL Viewer will stay compatible with OpenSim grids (both baking methods will stay in it).

2012-12-19 22:24:59
Profile WWW

Great! Thanks Henri.

2012-12-20 18:04:44

The lying clowns over at Firestorm have officially ceased offering updates to Phoenix, which I hope means an increase in users for Cool VL Viewer and Singularity and a significant drop in users for Firestorm. As always, the decision to stop offering updates was with the developers, and they made that decision. It was never going to be Linden Lab that broke Phoenix.

I'm glad that you, Henri, and Seanna are sticking with your viewer projects. I managed to get the code for Phoenix using Tortoise HG, but not being a programmer, they're pretty useless to me. I also lost home Internet access, making it very difficult to be logged into SL on any kind of regular basis. I'll be happy to pass the code on to anyone willing to wade through the mess to maintain the viewer under a different name and logo, but I doubt there's anyone besides you and Seanna who'd care to bother maintaining a viewer that uses the V1 user interface.

2013-01-11 20:25:04
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2