Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-23 06:32:09

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Installer 

I am just a little curious. I've been with the mesh viewer since it's basic inception here so my installation really has not changed much (if at all)

Do you still need snowglobe to install or has that been included in the 1.26.2.x series installer?

I was going to turn on a previous Phoenix viewer but I didn't see the link to the snowglobe link on the webpage any more.

2011-12-28 02:03:36

Foxxe Wilder wrote:
I am just a little curious. I've been with the mesh viewer since it's basic inception here so my installation really has not changed much (if at all)

Do you still need snowglobe to install or has that been included in the 1.26.2.x series installer?
The Snowglobe archive is only needed to extract a few non-redistributable files and is automatically downloaded when needed by the installer. See the installation howtos (Linux or Windows).

2011-12-28 09:14:11
Profile WWW

I just downloaded the 1.26.2 (11) Dec 24 2011 and was about to install it on my GF's Laptop and the Installer will not allow install. Her system is nothing unusual, Dell i7 Laptop with 8GB Ram Win7/64 Pro. Her general user account has administrator level access but even with using "Run as Admininistrator" install jammer hangs on creating a new directory for Cool Viewer. She's never had CV installed previously, so this is a fresh install. We have had no problems installing other viewers and applications.

Thanks in Advance for your attention.
WhiteStar

2011-12-31 03:52:12

WhiteStar wrote:
I just downloaded the 1.26.2 (11) Dec 24 2011 and was about to install it on my GF's Laptop and the Installer will not allow install. Her system is nothing unusual, Dell i7 Laptop with 8GB Ram Win7/64 Pro. Her general user account has administrator level access but even with using "Run as Admininistrator" install jammer hangs on creating a new directory for Cool Viewer. She's never had CV installed previously, so this is a fresh install. We have had no problems installing other viewers and applications.
This could be anything, but I doubt very much it's something related with InstallJammer itself... I tested it on 6 different Windows systems (3 virtual machines, and 3 real machines, under XP 32bits, 7 32bits, 7 64bits) and didn't have any issue, neither did others... It could be a corrupted installation file (try to re-download the viewer package), a corrupted directory entry (filesystem and/or hard disk issue: run a filesystem checker), or still a permission issue (try choosing another directory to install the viewer, or try creating the destination directory before running the installer and installing the viewer in it).

2011-12-31 09:38:19
Profile WWW

Thanks Henri... after a fair bit of fiddling around it turned out that Kapersky Anti-Virus was the culprit. For some reason it just would not allow the CV installer even though it is perfectly clean Kapersky just would not allow it.

As a side note of Goodness, her laptop has an ATI card built in, most other current V1 & V2/3 viewers really have severe issues with ATI but CV works & displays far better than the others. Seems that you resolved whatever quirks the others haven't yet sorted out. +++ For Henri !!!

Thanks Again & Happy New Year to you & yours
WhiteStar

2011-12-31 14:26:23

Yes, some Security systems, such as Kaspersky and Norton, use a feature that will only allow certain programs to download that have been approved by their overall user base as being 'Safe'. Several TPV's and Starlight have encountered this problem as they have not been downloaded enough and then 'reported' as being safe downloads. If you, yourself, actually trust the site, then you can usually disable the Security System just long enough to do the download.

2012-01-03 01:09:19

I'm posting this here as the following seems to be a packaging/installer issue:

Since Cool VL Viewer version 1.26.4.7b for Linux, libdb-4.2.so has been added as a symlink to libdb-5.1.so.
I've noticed that it contains the absolute path at execution time of the installer. This now makes the Cool VL Viewer directory position dependant.

Would it be possible to distribute the symlink with relative path, e.g.
libdb-4.2.so -> libdb-5.1.so instead of libdb-4.2.so -> /absolute/path/to/Cool/libdb-5.1.so?

This would save some workaround for out-of-tree distribution package creation.

P.S. Another, not so big issue in my case, about command line usage: --destination accepts relative paths while --snowglobe does not.

2012-04-06 16:24:16

The symlink is created by the installer. It is not part of the package itself. This is a temporary fix anyway and the future releases will include libdb v4.2 along v5.1, so that KDU works and no symlink is needed.

2012-04-06 17:52:52
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3