Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 06:23:25

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
packet_out_of_order 

There are some tools that griefers use to crash you and what it dose from what i can see in that moment is flood your connection to like 5000kb/s and use up all your ram. Here is the log from where it starts: http://pastebin.com/zuLg7ydH

Can something be done to block this kind of exploit?

and is there a way to code a auto drop memory when stuff like this happens so that it dosent go and freeze the PC?

2012-06-28 10:14:29

TheADX wrote:
There are some tools that griefers use to crash you and what it dose from what i can see in that moment is flood your connection to like 5000kb/s and use up all your ram. Here is the log from where it starts: http://pastebin.com/zuLg7ydH[/url]
Please, provide the *full* log. Relevant data may be located elsewhere. Plus, it doesn't even look like a Cool VL Viewer log (display stats are configured to run every minute on it, not every second)... From the very little I can see from the tiny piece of info available in this largely truncated log, there was no out of memory error, neither any bandwidth congestion, but instead a flacky network connection with the sim that finally lead to a disconnection.

Note that griefers cannot make your viewer consume all the system memory (the Cool VL Viewer also got specific algorithms to prevent out of memory crashes) neither can it flood directly *your* viewer network connection. However, should they send (using a hacked viewer or even a libomv-based fake client) gazillions of bogus message packets to the sim, it could well bring the latter down to its knees, to make it fail to send packets in time to other connected residents (thus the "out of order" packets), and finally to crash or disconnect everyone.

Quote:
Can something be done to block this kind of exploit?
This kind of attack against servers can only be blocked server side, by LL themselves.

Quote:
and is there a way to code a auto drop memory when stuff like this happens so that it dosent go and freeze the PC?
I never saw the OS freezing while running the Cool VL Viewer... at worst (and if you disable the "Memory Usage Safety Check" option in the Advanced menu), the viewer would crash after exhausting its own virtual memory address space. What could happen on low RAM systems (< 4Gb RAM) is that the viewer eats up enough memory to cause swapping to start (which then could slow down the OS a lot). In the Cool VL Viewer, simply keep "Memory Usage Safety Check" checked and uncheck "Allow Swapping" to force the viewer to recourse to its memory usage throttling mechanism before the OS would start swapping (but then expect more blurry textures, potential reduction of the draw distance and even resets of your camera to its default position if you were caming far away)

2012-06-28 14:08:06
Profile WWW

I dont have the log now because i started other sesions. It is a Cool VL log and i`l try to go on that sand box again to maby replicate it, from what i know that was done by a object because no one was at the sim after i reloged and i still got crashed as soon as i joined the sim fps went down and instant 5000kb/s and up. There is no error on the viewer but it starts to consume all the available ram (i have 4gb and i`m using 64bit os) So i have no idea how they do it but they make the viewer consume all the ram and slows down the connection until you disconnect.

2012-06-28 15:21:55

Managed to find that stuff again. Here are the logs, the viewer stoped responding at the end so the logs are not complete.

http://pastebin.com/hqgbf0Jg

http://pastebin.com/fvcQtNhG

2012-06-28 17:19:18

To me, it much looks like a network issue... This could be the dreaded "too large MTU" problem (search the forum for "MTU" and see what I already wrote about it). Another possibility would be a buggy router on the path between your computer and the sim server.

2012-06-28 18:44:23
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
To me, it much looks like a network issue... This could be the dreaded "too large MTU" problem (search the forum for "MTU" and see what I already wrote about it). Another possibility would be a buggy router on the path between your computer and the sim server.

no, its nothing like that its an atack that they use, it happens just when they atack you or they leave a prim with that script on the land. MTU is fine i know my connection stuff and i have a 100mb/s connection. This is just one of the griefing tools. I`m just reporting it so you can make the viewer safer. Its not just me that gets that, anyone on the sim has the same treatment when he activates it.

ps. if you want to make it safer for you and other users , go hang out in the "bad" places and you will see how ease they exploit it.

2012-06-28 19:03:05

TheADX wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:

no, its nothing like that its an atack that they use, it happens just when they atack you or they leave a prim with that script on the land. MTU is fine i know my connection stuff and i have a 100mb/s connection. This is just one of the griefing tools. I`m just reporting it so you can make the viewer safer. Its not just me that gets that, anyone on the sim has the same treatment when he activates it.

ps. if you want to make it safer for you and other users , go hang out in the "bad" places and you will see how ease they exploit it.
I went to "Sandbox Island 4" that I saw mentioned in your logs, but it was offline, which tends to confirm what I already said:the griefer manages to overload the sim (not the viewer) and you get disconnected as the sim crashes.

2012-06-28 21:39:48
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
TheADX wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:

I went to "Sandbox Island 4" that I saw mentioned in your logs, but it was offline, which tends to confirm what I already said:the griefer manages to overload the sim (not the viewer) and you get disconnected as the sim crashes.

Its offline because others do crash the sim, its like a war zone not realy a sandbox, they come there to test HUD`s and Crashers. I know how it feels when a sim crashez, it dosent load all my ram and my connection, i had like 945564 sim crashes because i do hang out in info hubs and a lot of "nice" places. I`l try to send you more info in the future when i find new atacks that show in the logs and are not sim related so that Cool VL will be the safest viewer that is also legal.

Are there other logs that i shoud monitor in this case? And if so, where are they located? Maby they provide more info.

2012-06-29 07:58:56

You have been spammed. Here is a patch you can apply:

http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=811&start=10

2012-07-05 14:06:43
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]