Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 09:42:53

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Feedback for the NEW experimental branch with v3.3 renderer. 

kathrine wrote:
Allen Kerensky wrote:
1. InstallJammer no long installs in interactive mode, throwing an unknown bind command error.
If I install with --mode quiet --destination <path> it still installs - there's a reference in the InstallJammer forums of a bugfix in InstallJammer newer beta versions for this, due to a bug in terminal mode handling.
'bind' would be a Tk command to link some X11 event to a command, which makes no sense in console mode (which should just run with a tclsh shell). It could be a missing system library, but thats unlikely, as Installjammer has nearly all dependencies linked in statically. So if 'bind' is unknown, the Tk package could not be loaded properly.
This could make sense on a 64bits system, since I don't think the 64bits Tcl/Tk runtime gets packaged by the installer (that is configured to output a 32bits installation)... In this case, installing the 64bits Tcl/Tk libraries should solve the issue.

2012-08-08 21:27:30
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
This will depend entirely on LL's willingness to fix this issue in their own viewer, I'm afraid... [...]
Well, just for the record, it seems they have just recently demonstrated their unwillingness by closing https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MAINT-1299 as Expected Behaviour :roll:

This will literally break billions of L$ worth of existing content in the medium to long run. Isn't SL fun?

The funny part is that some of the library AVs still use invisiprims for a proper look. Way to go! :lol:

Love,
Lia

2012-08-09 08:41:12

Lots of shoes and stuff you can fix, when it is editable... just remove the invisiprim from the linkset and use a proper alpha texture with it. :)

Lots of shoe demos etc. are coming with alpha textures, I save them all in a separate folder, you never know when you need one specific one.

2012-08-09 17:46:53

Some additional feedback with the new renderer:

A forum tip posted here, to use Debug Settings to move RenderShadowBlurSize from 0.7 to 3.0 has smoothed out the shadow "static" or "noise" I was seeing in some parts of the shadows.

I had just assumed this was artifacting from something in the new render pipeline, but it was really the SSAO feature doing what it was supposed to.
Tuning it for softer shadows made it look more "natural" on my system, and is the last "side effect" I'd seen with the renderer change.
So, it at this point - 1.26.5.2 is *only* improvements over 1.26.4.x and just took some light tuning.

I turned off driver forced aniso and AA, and using just the maxed viewer settings and see 11-23fps @ 1920x1200 depending on amount of geometry in scene.

Still amazed how you've been able to merge and blend current viewer code with the 1.x viewer code and continue to generate the most stable and usable viewer out there.

2012-08-10 14:39:13

Tillie wrote:
Lots of shoe demos etc. are coming with alpha textures, I save them all in a separate folder, you never know when you need one specific one.

This pack should cover all your needs :)

2012-08-10 17:05:49

hm..what can i say? i tried it today on one of the os grids and got AMAZED.
now thats what my video card was built for!
sorry. i dont have any bugs to report by this time.
maybe some would show later. but for now i am happy like little boy at christmas!
:D
keep up the good work!
:)
ev

2012-08-14 22:23:09

ok
now that i tested it a bit more thoroughly i noticed two things.

there is a big difference on the behaviour of the viewer between an os grid i am a regular in and secondlife.
while the viewer is doing exceptionally well on the os grid it is getting extremely slow on sl and textures will take ages to load or even fail to load on sl.
i didnt try the tzhe idea about the privatepools thing yet, but i'll keep you posted about it.
furthermore i am experiencing freezes sometimes, very randomly, usually at the beginning of a session after logging in on sl.
no idea what that could be. but thats how it is.
have a good week,
ev

2012-08-21 22:45:04

everest wrote:
ok
now that i tested it a bit more thoroughly i noticed two things.

there is a big difference on the behaviour of the viewer between an os grid i am a regular in and secondlife.
while the viewer is doing exceptionally well on the os grid it is getting extremely slow on sl and textures will take ages to load or even fail to load on sl.
i didnt try the tzhe idea about the privatepools thing yet, but i'll keep you posted about it.
furthermore i am experiencing freezes sometimes, very randomly, usually at the beginning of a session after logging in on sl.
no idea what that could be. but thats how it is.
have a good week,
ev

I didn't notice any change in texture speed loading here, and the texture fetching code is absolutely identical to v1.26.4 (only the renderer changed, nothing else !)... If you are seeing an effect, this is probably due to the ParcelOverlay message spamming bug in SL, that arised two weeks ago and that eats up a lot of bandwidth (not a problem for someone with 20Mbps bandwidth like mine, but definitely an issue for 4Mbps and smaller bandwidth links).

2012-08-22 00:48:19
Profile WWW

hm...so probably nowt to do about it, eh? oh well...lets see what lindens will come up with as a solution.
-.-
thanks anyways
ev

2012-08-22 18:26:37

Amalia Illios wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
This will depend entirely on LL's willingness to fix this issue in their own viewer, I'm afraid... [...]
Well, just for the record, it seems they have just recently demonstrated their unwillingness by closing https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MAINT-1299 as Expected Behaviour :roll:
I had a quick look at the code as it was implemented in former renderers, and decided to give a try at reenabling similar code with the v3.4 renderer (in fact, using the exact same code to render invisprims in both non-deferred and deferred rendering modes)... Good news: it works just as well (and just as bad, i.e. full bright prims disappear behind invisprims while they should not) as it did in v2.6 !... I therefore re-enabled invisiprims deferred rendering in v1.26.5.9 and added a toggle for it in the "Advanced" -> "Rendering" -> "Deferred Rendering" menu.

2012-09-15 13:05:26
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next